Monday, May 4, 2009

Ted's Promise

Ted is at peace. He's in heaven with Jesus. He fought a good fight against Cancer. I attended his funeral last Thursday. Our pastor had a lot of good things to say about Ted and his relationship with Jesus. I wish I could have known him better.

In his obituary, his wife and family included a promise Ted made when he was first diagnosed in 1998. I quote it here. “When faced with a mountain I WILL NOT QUIT! I will keep on striving until I climb over, find a pass through, tunnel underneath–or simply stay and turn the mountain into a gold mine, with God's help!” I don't know if this is his thought or if he found it and quoted it but I like it.

In the fall of 2005, our church decided to go out into the neighborhood and knock on doors. Those walking the streets invited the people to our church and gave them free tickets to the upcoming chicken noodle dinner. That evening,our pastor and another gentleman decided to knock on one more door before returning to the church.

These two men knocked on this one particular door. Finally, a woman answered, listened and explained their plight. She and her husband received his diagnosis of recurring Cancer that afternoon. The two guests prayed with them, invited the couple to church and left. This was on Wednesday. On Sunday they church family was informed of the need and the circumstances of the pastor knowing of it.

Ted and his wife Jan have been appreciative of all the church family has done for them these three and a half years. Ted fought Cancer for a total of ten years. He lived a full life. After retiring from his job as a production control supervisor, he worked two other jobs.

What I will always remember about Ted is he always seemed glad to see people. When we greet people on Sunday mornings during the Worship Service, he always smiled, his eyes gleaming.

When I heard his promise, I thought he had such a courageous attitude. He gave us all something to ponder. I replaced my screen saver with the first part of the quote the afternoon of the funeral. The next day the Lord reminded me of the words I had input. I will always be grateful to Ted's family for sharing that promise with us.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Quiet Spirit -

    What a beautiful tribute to your friend! My husband also had that same zest for life and refused to give up.

    May the Lord comfort Ted's family.

    Blessings,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

The Lord

  You Tube We sang this last Sunday at church last Sunday. The congregation liked it so well that the praise band director chose to include ...