Monday, December 28, 2009

Sure and Confident

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for

and certain of what we do not see. Hebrews 11:1

What can we be sure of in this world? Can we be sure of having tomorrow? Can we be positive all things will be the same for us in the future? Can we rely on our resources and wit to get us through this life?

Can we be certain we or our family members will escape having a serious or debilitating illness? Can we be certain our children will be healthy and have successful lives?

The answer to all the above answers is the same, “No.” There is an old adage that goes, “There’s nothing certain in this world, except death and taxes.”

How often does one hear of a friend’s demise and say, “I saw him just yesterday.” An online friend of mine lost her husband right before Thanksgiving. The day before he died, he played ping pong with friends. Years ago, a high school girl went to a basketball game and succumbed to a heart attack at a sock hop in the gym after the game. We can never be sure of what is going to happen in this world. But, we have to have faith in Jesus Christ to get us through the personal, and the societal, difficult times. The issue believers deal with is what faith is.

We know the sun will shine tomorrow, but the clouds might keep it from view. We take the first part of the last sentence on faith. We are sure of it, we believe it.

We trust that every time we flick a light switch, we will have lights. This is a type of faith. We rely on our vehicles to start when we turn the keys. Also, a type of faith But we well know that light bulbs burn out and cars don’t always start. Car batteries lose their charges. We had trouble with ignition systems over the years.

But faith in God is something unique. The writer of Hebrews tells us it is the certainty of what we don’t see. We believe Jesus is with us each day. We feel His presence when we pray, as we worship, when we need Him.

I once heard a man relate an acrostic for faith: Forsaking All In Trusting Him. Can we be confident about events in our lives that look bad for us? Can we be sure God will be with us every day? Do we know He IS with us when we face difficult times? When our faith is strong, we can say, “Yes.”

4 comments:

  1. Our faith in god is truly unique. There is no evidence to suggest that he even exists, yet people attribute all sorts of 'powers' and 'resources' to him. I know how a car works. If it stops working, I know someone who can fix it. I don't get on bended knee and pray to the lord jesu. If I did, I would be getting arthritis by now.

    Look for god hard enough and you will find him even though he doesn't exist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Quiet Spirit -

    Great devotional.

    Whenever life hits with a vengeance, I look back to all the times the Lord brought me through a crisis. This gives me peace and courage to for the present circumstance.

    I remember His names: Jehovah Jireh - the Lord my Provider, Jehovah Rapha - the Lord my Healer, Jehovah Nissi - the Lord my Banner. One name of His always holds special comfort: Jehovah Elohay - the Lord MY God. He's not just the God of the universe, but He's my Abba Father, who cares about me personally.

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cecelia,
    He is ever with us, no matter what! I've heard that acrostic slightly differently:
    Forsaking All I Trust Him.
    Either way works well:)
    Blessings to you and your readers,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Cecelia. My faith is in Jesus, my King.

    Happy New Year!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

February Reflections

  Getting Some Repair Work Done We had to have some work done to our bathroom. Our shower and bathtub had been out of commission f...