Friday, March 26, 2010

For My Transgressions





“By oppression and judgment he was taken away.

And who can speak of his descendants? For he was

cut off from the land of the living; for the transgressions

of my people he was stricken.” Isaiah 25:8 (NIV)





The religious leaders stirred up the crowds, using trumped up charges, of all things. Jesus went to the cross because we are so sinful. He died a horrific death so those sins we commit will not count against us.

In the Old Testament, only the appointed priest could go into the Holy of Holies to take the sins of the people and give them to God. This passage into the presence of God only happened once a year. One priest, chosen by drawing lots, going into God’s presence carrying the sins of all the people of the Hebrew nation. No one else could go into this most sacred area. The other priests tied a rope onto the chosen one’s ankle so they could pull him out of there, if he was in there too long and God had dealt with him.

Now, imagine with me how difficult this was. One man, a human, at that, carried his own sins, those of his family, his friends, his neighbors, and the government on his shoulders. He entered the Holy of Holies as best he could. He gave the sins to God, who received them from him. How would a priest feel as he exited the area?

Recently, I sat in church with a lady who has been bringing me a magazine. She tapped me on the arm and asked me if I had seen the movie, The Passion of The Christ. I told her I had. She hadn’t at that time. She wasn’t sure she could see it when it was at our local theaters. I encouraged her to see it. Our church’s singles group was going to watch it on video. They invited anyone who wanted to, to see it with them. That movie impressed in me that my sins put Jesus Christ on that cross.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so thankful for Jesus' sacrifice, and so proud of Him that He obeyed the Father and stayed on the cross, to give me life.

    Blessed Easter week,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

February Reflections

  Getting Some Repair Work Done We had to have some work done to our bathroom. Our shower and bathtub had been out of commission f...