Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Ann Received The Crown of Life




“Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial,

because when he has stood the test, He will receive

the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.”

James 1:12 (NIV)



As I scanned the funeral services section of our local paper Friday night, I saw the name Ann Hershman. Her service was to be Saturday at a church on Indianapolis’ north side. After an online search, I found I was right, this lady was a lady I knew.

I had lived across the street from her when we were in our youth. Her dad was the minister of the church where I worshipped. We attended the same college. She graduated from high school a year before me. We were friends as well as neighbors.

She passed away about a month ago from complications related to treatments for brain cancer. She had been a founding member of a house church. She spent over 30 years teaching high school in Indianapolis Public Schools.

Her life seems to have been one of hardships in spite of her relationship with and her belief in God. She was widowed twice; both times seemed to be tribulations for her. Her parents died about six weeks apart. Her second husband, an Alzheimer’s patient died three years later.

I found myself doing something I don’t usually do-I asked God, “Why?” I specifically asked Him, “Why would someone who gave their life to serving You and others have to suffer so in her life as well as her death?

The answer I heard went something like this. She is at home now. She is surrounded by her parents and grandparents and others she held dear. She has received her crown, the crown of life.

She will be missed by her children and grandchildren, her siblings and their children. Those who worshipped with her will always remember her faith and strength. Her students will remember more fondly as time progresses.

I learned a lesson from this time of doubt. When we ask the deep “Why” questions, He will answer. And show us how He appraises the situation. He does this because of His love.

2 comments:

  1. You know, we don't always understand everything, but we can rest in the fact that nothing takes God by surprise.
    Blessings to you and your readers,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful post-as always. Your words always touch me. I love that you said your friend had received her crown of life. Beautifully said.

    ReplyDelete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

February Reflections

  Getting Some Repair Work Done We had to have some work done to our bathroom. Our shower and bathtub had been out of commission f...