Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Pride, Disgrace, vs. Humility, Wisdom

Humble Ourselves Before God



“When pride comes, then comes disgrace,

but with humility comes wisdom.”

Proverbs 11:2 (NIV)



We humans have a condition that gets us into trouble quicker than we ever think. The condition is called pride. The symptoms are inflated ego, ‘I’ problems, and an enlarged sense of self-importance.

A person sins and when he or she is confronted by godly superiors, that person says he or she didn’t do anything wrong. Or a person gets caught, receives guidance to pursue counseling, but states he or she hasn’t done one thing wrong. Both of these scenarios are examples of pride. Prideful people eventually get into trouble with other people and with the Lord.

God honors humility, the quality that allows believers to put others before themselves, He grants us wisdom as we learn who we are in the scheme of things.

When God asked Solomon what his wish was for, it wasn’t riches, long life or death of his enemies, Solomon responded by asking “for a wise and discerning heart . . . and to distinguish from right and wrong.” “I will give you a wise and discerning heart so there will never have been anyone like you, nor will there ever be.” “Moreover, I will give you what you have not asked for-both riches and honor-so that in your lifetime you will have no equal among kings. 1 Kings 3: 9-13

Solomon forgot his part of the covenant, he forgot to obey God. But he still had wisdom, after he humbled himself.

As we mature in the Lord, we learn we don’t have to lose our tempers when things go wrong. We find we can reason issues out with those who have caused us concern. I’m thankful that I am still teachable about the ways of God and how He wants me to conduct myself.

4 comments:

  1. I really liked what you had to say on your post today. It is a hard line to be self confident and not be full of pride. As authors it is our jobs to sell ourselves but we have to stay humble at the same time. It is a difficult process at times. Thank you for your post.
    Glenda Parker
    http://glendaparkerfictionwriter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glenda:
    Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad you stopped by. Feel free to visit when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, we do need to be teachable. What good is it otherwise, you know? I desire to move forward to where He wants me to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen:
    Thank you for your thoughtful comment. I have been going through something that has allowed God to speak to me. When we allow Him to work with us, we see signs of growth we could never imagine.

    ReplyDelete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

February Reflections

  Getting Some Repair Work Done We had to have some work done to our bathroom. Our shower and bathtub had been out of commission f...