Friday, November 11, 2011

How Should We Give Thanks Part 2?



Trees at our local state park.
Be thankful to Him and bless His name. Psalm 100:4b (NKJV)



Wholeheartedly, we can tell whether or not a person means what they say. God also knows when we go through the motions and say words He and others expect to hear from us.

I once spent a quantity of time making a scroll of thanks for a gentleman in a former church I attended. I had enlisted help from my step-father to make stained wooden handles for the scroll. I asked a friend’s daughter to color the pictures I had cut out of coloring books of a particular well-known Muppet. I asked the church people to sign the paper just anywhere. My plan was to put a cut out image above each name. I let his wife know of this project. When I delivered it to their home and gave it to him. He didn’t really respond the way I had thought he would. His wife thanked me for all the work I did and also apologized for her husbands seeming lack of appreciation.

The next Sunday, the man told me he was touched by the scroll. He also told me that due to his medical condition, his doctor had advised him not to get overexcited. I understood what he told me.

Sometimes, we have to be subdued in giving thanks to God. The important thing is THAT we give thanks.

Pleasantly, When I was in college one of the girls in my sorority used a phrase I was unfamiliar with, “left-handed compliment.” I took it to mean a phrase that appeared to not be a compliment but actually was. I believe we sometime give reverse praise. We thank God because we know we have to but, deep down, we feel we didn’t get what we requested. This sounds like, “Thank You, God, but I wanted this to happen, not what came about. Why didn’t I get what I asked?”



Do we sometimes thank God and not really mean it?



Do we grumble as we give thanks to God?



Can we do better about our attitude about what He does for us?

8 comments:

  1. It's always a challenge, QS, and something I have to work on daily! Maybe that's why He called it a "sacrifice of praise."

    I think that maybe practice will make, if not perfect, at least better?

    Happy fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cecelia, what a timely reminder. I also think that God has shown me I can do better in my thankful attitude- when I go to grumble or complain something - he shows me that I can turn it immediatly (repentance)into thanksgiving and praise. This really IS so helpful- as God shows us how often we sin before Him first when we do murmer. Still learning and grateful for grace! Thanks for your post, today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rhonda:
    Thank you for your insightful comment. Yes, it is a 'sacrifice of praise.' We have times where we have to find something good to praise Him for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dawn:
    Thank you for your kind words. We have to learn to have that attitude of gratitude. It's amazing what we have to unlearn in order to learn of God and to follow Him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is always room for better, I believe.

    This reminds me of my mother's words years ago. Our Grace at meal for years included "let us be truly thankful" and then one day Mom asked us to just change it to "let us be thankful", she said the truly part isn't really what any of us really meant since to feel that way meant we'd have to starve for a good long time first.

    That stuck with me, to monitor my words carefully, especially in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For me, this all boils down to expectations. Do I expect people to act a certain way, to please me? Do I expect God to answer my prayers in a particular way, so I can be happy? If so, I'm focused on myself.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jeanette:
    Thank you for your words of wisdom. This was a long time ago and I have matured since then.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eileen:
    Thank you for your kind words. I like what your mother said.

    ReplyDelete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

February Reflections

  Getting Some Repair Work Done We had to have some work done to our bathroom. Our shower and bathtub had been out of commission f...