Wednesday, October 1, 2014

The Eyes of the LORD


“But the eyes of the LORD are on those who fear him,
on those whose hope is in his unfailing love.”
Psalm 33:18 (NIV)

What does it mean to fear God? I had a friend whose then-husband shared with her that he had told a co-worker that he did not fear God. My friend was upset when she heard this.

My response to her was that to fear God was to have a reverential awe for Him. As I reflect on my answer, I should have gone further and explained that we learn to have very deep respect for our LORD. The Webster’s New World Dictionary defines respect as: “1.to feel or show honor or esteem for. 2. to show consideration for: as respect his privacy.”

We have earthly friends or church family who drop what they are doing when we need them. We greatly appreciate them for their kindness toward us when we have a need.

When we have gone through something where the outcome could have been very severe but God got us through. We learn how precious He is. We learn we can trust Him for everything; our hope in our heavenly Father becomes stronger.

This past July 4th, I received word of a lady in my Sunday school class was in ICU at the hospital down the street from my home. I felt led to go down there and find her daughter. The daughter invited me to go in and see her mother. The older woman looked toward me but didn’t see me. She recovered and is able to be more active than she has been. She is living proof of someone who God brought through a very serious illness and has experienced His grace.

God is faithful. He doesn’t give up. He stands by us and watches us, alert for when we need His help. 


2 comments:

  1. Hi Cecelia! God loves an obedient daughter, and you were obedient to the call to visit this woman. What a comfort you were to her daughter too. Having someone support you in hard times is such a blessing.

    I think 'fear of the Lord' gets misinterpreted all the time. It's not the kind of thing where we cower and are overwhelmed. Like you said, it's a sacred respect.
    Blessings!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ceil: Thank you for your lovely thoughts. This looks to be a busy weekend for me.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

February Reflections

  Getting Some Repair Work Done We had to have some work done to our bathroom. Our shower and bathtub had been out of commission f...