Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Confession Leads to Forgiveness


www.tillhecomes again.org,

“Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity.
 I said,’ I will confess my transgressions to the LORD’—and you forgave the guilt of my sin.’”
Psalm 32:5 (NIV)

               David pens these words to God. He knew what he had done and had tried to keep it a secret. But that only made David experience physical illness. (: 3-4)
               When I was a sophomore in high school, my geometry teacher said, “Confession is good for the soul.” As I remember, several of us giggled because we had never heard that expression before. But it is true.
               When we admit something we did and that action was wrong, we feel as if a huge weight has been lifted off our shoulders.

               We shouldn’t be afraid to confess when we have done something that harms another person. Several years ago, one of my friends confessed to me that she had done something she shouldn’t have done. She didn’t need to give me any of the details because I discerned what she had done. It was a while before she could deal with any aftermath of her action. One of the injured parties promised my friend a hard time if she moved back to town. My friend was scared.

               Now, King David received God’s forgiveness and, still, he had issues that arose from within his family, a prototype of dysfunction.

               We learn from David’s life that God forgives us from our wrongdoing but we still may have to weather some storms. God used David in spite of his sin and his family’s issues.

               A lot of us, when we are troubled turn to the Psalms for comfort, strength, and guidance. Most of the Psalms were written by David. Without his moodiness, his thankful heart, and his love for the LORD, we might not have these beautiful essays.
              


2 comments:

  1. Hi Cecelia! I was just thinking the other day that the Psalms are really David's spiritual journal. He pours out all his feelings, positive, negative...but always striving for the Lord. It sounds a lot like all of us who want to work through our emotions and situations to get 'right' with God.
    Confession is so good for the soul, I agree! A great way to begin again.
    Have a wonderful afternoon!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ceil: Thank you for your insightful thoughts. You are right when you say the Psalms are David's spiritual journal. Blessings to you and yours.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

February Reflections

  Getting Some Repair Work Done We had to have some work done to our bathroom. Our shower and bathtub had been out of commission f...