Friday, February 13, 2015

The Greatest of These

ibrakeforstanps.com

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love.
 But the greatest of these is love
1 Corinthians 13:13 (NIV)

            The Apostle Paul closes out the most touching passage he wrote with these words. Have you ever wondered what He means by the word “things?” I have. Could he mean emotions? Faith is deeper than an emotion. So is hope. Love is a deliberate act of our souls.  Could he mean motivations? Let’s see, motivation means the reason for an action taken.

            I believe he means these three terms to be motivations. We take action in certain areas of our lives because we know the path we choose to take is the right one. (Faith) At other times we take a course of exercise that we see as the best way to go. (Hope) Still, we venture on a path that opens to us because we know it is what is best for someone else at that time. (Love)

            In 2011, our son came to me and told me he had been accepted for a job 600 miles to the west of where we live. He remembers me telling him, “That’s all right. You could live thee for a couple of years.”  He told me I said this when he was home the other week. What I didn’t know was my thought would be prophetic. I was motivated by my love for him.

            He will be relocating back to our home state in a few weeks. Yes, we are excited about his decision. We met him in the town where he will live and tried to help him find an apartment. We came home on the morning of the second day and he continued his search. He found one and did the business he needed to do and then drove two hours to our home.


We had a short visit with him here. He had to leave out a full day earlier that he planned due to the predicted weather.  All the actions that Hubby and I took in this venture were backed by the motivation of love.

4 comments:

  1. Your positive attitude in this probably made it much better than it would have been if you'd allowed yourself to be upset instead. What timing! I was JUST watching a minister on Youtube talking about emotions, specifically about controlling our emotions instead of letting them control us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandi: Thank you for your kind and warm thought. Valentine blessings to you and yours.

      Delete
  2. Hi Cecelia! I can't imagine how hard it was to see your son move away so far from you. Praise the Lord that he will coming back! It's great to know in your heart that you were motivated by love. That's the best, isn't it? You knew he had to go for work, and you didn't stand in his way, or make a big deal.

    He is so blessed to have you as his parents :)
    Hope you had a wonderful weekend!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ceil: Thank you for your warm comments. God has blessed us with a wonderful son. He has seen people who didn't have supportive mothers. I know he appreciates what we have been able to do to help him.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

February Reflections

  Getting Some Repair Work Done We had to have some work done to our bathroom. Our shower and bathtub had been out of commission f...