Friday, February 5, 2016

RJD: 2/2016 Names People Call Us


Journal Entry: Dec. 3, 2015

BACKGROUND:
I received therapy for my broken ankle while I was in the nursing home. My only time out of my room each day (seven days a week) was to receive therapy. I came to enjoy those who worked in that department.

Journal Entry:

               One of the male therapists here at the nursing home/rehab center said something interesting today. His mother does not like to be called ‘honey’ or ‘hon.’ She thinks it sounds demeaning.

               This set me to thinking. When I was in college, one of the guys on campus who worked for the food service, part time, always called the girls in the dorm endearing little names like ‘doll.’ He was in the same fraternity as my boyfriend. One day one of my sorority sisters who also dated another guy from that fraternity house and I asked him why he did that.

               My friend hit upon the idea that he did this because he did not know or could not remember the names of the other girls on campus. However, he had to know our names.

               Here at the rehab/nursing facility, the CAN’s, the nurses, and the therapists use the little cute names because it is quick and easy. The environment can be somewhat cold and daunting to the patients. The use of endearing terms breaks the ice and is meant to put the patient at ease.

               The Bible says God has a special name for each of his children. Each of us will find out what He calls us when we meet Him.

UPDATE:
               Yesterday, I underwent an evaluation for the possibility of continuing my physical therapy. The young woman told me I was doing well, making progress. I could have continued receiving therapy for 30 days. I explained something to her and asked for two more weeks. She agreed to my suggestion.

I will see my regular PT woman three more times and then this evaluator will come back to release me. I am so happy; I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  

14 comments:

  1. Here in the south we hear all kinds of "terms of endearment", some not so dear as others, but usually I know the person means well when they say "honey", or "Darlin". There have been times when I have had to say out of necessity, "I'm NOT your darlin" to get my point across to someone a bit obnoxious. Thankfully, God's name for us is never obnoxious. He whispers words of love to us all the time...if we will just listen for His voice. Thank you for this reminder. So glad you are getting back up and around these days. I know you are happy to be back on your feet again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam: I am reminded of a scene from "9 to 5." In it a secretary lectures her boss on the fact that she is not his 'girl'. We all have times when we don't feel it appropriate for those 'terms of endearment.' Then there are other times we feel complimented when we hear them. Blessings to you and yours. We had a busy afternoon today-a few important errands to run.

      Delete
  2. Cecelia- So glad you are healing and love these thoughts about endearing names...it's funny because my son wrote a song called "I Don't Want to Call You Baby...it's a humorous poke at endearing epitaphs, and in the end the songs says, I just wanna call you by your given name. It's a fun song, but it also made me think about how Jesus knows us each by our given name! Great reflections here, my friend. Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kel. This endearing name calling is all right with me. In my last job, I found myself calling the customers,"Sweetie."

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful post about how God knows us each by name. He also does call us by endearments too, don't you think? Like "My Daughter" and "Child" but never because he forgot our names! Ha! Blessings on your continued healing Dear One...oops I did it too! Ha1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie: It's all right with me that you called me Dear One. It doesn't matter what you call me as long as it's not late to dinner.:)

      Delete
  4. Hi Cecelia, I am glad to hear that the end of the tunnel is near and you will be fully recovered. Somehow I haven't been on your blog for a long time, did I miss something or haven't you posted?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marja: I was out of comission for three months due to a stay in an nursing home. I broke my ankle and had to have therapy. Then, I had to wait until our son came home for Christmas in order to be able to get into my computer. The three months were from The end of September until December 22.

      Delete
  5. HI Cecelia! I am so glad you brought your journal along to the nursing home. What a faithful little listening friend a journal can be! I am glad you are doing well and that the staff treated you well...and that you are moving along again! Please take care of yourself...I always enjoy the way you use minimal words, yet make a solid point based on Biblical Truth. THanks for being one of the core journal keepers who faithfully participated! Love and hugs. Good things ahead that will be inspiring...honest engine. ;) He makes everything new...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn: Thank you for your lovely comment. Blessings to you on your new ventures,

      Delete
  6. Hi Cecelia! Congrats on the awesome progress you've made! I know how PT can be both boring, and live giving. But hey, it's nice to get back to 'real life'.
    I have to say that waitresses calling me 'babe' and 'honey' bothers me. Maybe I don't think it's respectful? I don't correct them, because I don't think they mean to be demeaning, but that doesn't mean I like it!
    Happy Sunday,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ceil: When we used to frequent a chain restaurant on the south end of town, one of the waitresses kept using those endearing terms in talking to my husband and ignoring me. I was getting uptight about it and finally told Hubby that the server could be thought of as harrassing him in an intimate way. (You know what I mean.)

      Delete
  7. Hooray for light at the end of the tunnel! Glad to hear you are encouraged and making progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. It has been a long road. God has been with us each step of the way.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

February Reflections

  Getting Some Repair Work Done We had to have some work done to our bathroom. Our shower and bathtub had been out of commission f...