Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Time


I am doing a personal study on time management. Hence, the next few posts will be about time from the standpoint of what the Bible says about it;
⃰⃰ ⃰ ⃰
“There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens.”
Ecclesiastes 3:1 (NIV)

            Throughout our lives, we have waged a contest between time and ourselves. We know there are 24 hours in a day, usually 31 days in a month—except April, June, September, and November, each of these have 30; and that renegade we call February which has either 28 or 29.

            Back in high school, I had a teacher who used the phrase ‘time—wasters’ to describe some of us students. We heard people say they had done something to “kill time.” Wasting something simply means we throw an object away or misuse it. Killing time seems to be wasting minutes and hours to a great degree. (My definition)

            Time is a valuable commodity. While we cannot put our hands on it, we have it at our disposal. Ask a child under 13 how old he or she is we get an interesting response. If that child is between eight and nine, their answer is, ’eight and a half.’

            My dad told me when I was a child that as we get older, time goes faster, or it seems to. From time to time, I think of him as he told me that. A friend and I recently talked about this phenomenon. Her slant was it seems to go faster.

            How is this applicable to the Bible and my focus verse? Solomon, the wisest man in the world, tells us ‘there is a time for everything.” “Does he mean will have sad times along with the happy ones? Will we have times of hardship and times of ease? Yes, he does.

            Certain times are longer and become seasons: rearing children, caring for an ill family member, and, yes, seasons of strife. God allows us to have these seasons as he molds us into the persons he desires us to be.  


2 comments:

  1. I agree, time indeed is a precious thing. My goal is to make more of and redeem my time in a Godly way. Your dad was right, it does seem to go more quickly as you age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen: Thank you for your warm comment. I did very well yesterday just by being mindful of the clock. I found some old print outs I had saved and read them. Today was not as good a day but that's all right. I am learning to control myself and my activities.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

Wait, Renew, Mount

  But those who wait on the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount  up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, ...