Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Rest for the Land

Image result for Sabbath Years for Israelite Lands
 thethomasicecollection.com 

January- Rest, Refresh


“The Lord said to Moses on Mount Sinai, ‘Speak to the Israelites and say to them: ‘When you enter the land I am giving you, the land itself must observe a Sabbath to the LORD. For six years sow your fields, and for six years prune your vineyards and gather their crops. But in the seventh year, the land is to have a year of rest.” Leviticus 25:1-5 (NIV)

            God established Sabbath years for the land He gave to His people. In this instance, the Hebrew people did not follow God’s direction. God told them to do as He said forever. It took them going into exile for 70 years before they got the message and instituted the practice. I found it interesting God told the Israelites this early on in their time in the land He promised them.
            In Leviticus 26:32-38 God tells the people, in detail, what they will go through if they fail to observe the Sabbath years for the land. God outlines what He has to do in order to teach them the lessons He has for them.
•           He will lay waste to their land.
•           He will scatter His children among other nations.
•           He will draw His sword and pursue them.
•           Their cities will lie in ruins.
•           THEN the land will enjoy its Sabbath years all the time the people are in exile.
•           Those who are left in the land will be extremely fearful.
•           The Israelites will not be able to stand before their enemies.
•           The Israelites will perish in the foreign lands.
•           The land of the enemies will devour the Israelites.
•           Those who survive will waste away because of their sins or those of their fathers.

This is not a pretty picture. But God felt it was necessary to do in order to teach His children obedience to His instructions.


We as His children need to learn to obey God, even when it comes to finding time to rest and refresh our bodies, minds, and hearts.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Cecelia! Isn't it interesting how we will work right through the 7th day, while complaining that we don't have time to rest. God always knows what's best for us, and we have to see his commands in that light. He only wants good for me, and for all his children.
    Wishing you rest and refreshment this January,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ceil: Thank you for your wise observation. It is always interesting to get to the bottom of what bothers us.I have found that if I complain about anything, I later find I may have been part of the initial cause, Hence, your comment is one that carries weight.

      Delete
  2. Ah, we have so much to learn, don't we? I always need a reminder to rest and refresh, for even when my body is still, my mind is racing. Working on that this year, as well as sowing more scripture and quiet time. Blessings to you, my friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen: Whenever I get involved in a large project, I try to set a personal deadline before the actual deadline so I can rest a bit before the event. I experienced frustration with this in one group because the head of the ministry said that there were always 'last minute'things to finalize. I still prefer to have a time of rest for myself in anything I do.

      Delete
  3. This is supposed to be my year for "Sabbath Rest"...apparently something that God knows I need...and I am still not sure exactly what or how I am doing this...but little by little I am seeing Him bring it to pass. I am His servant, and I am trying to follow His commands...even to just REST. Thank you for this interesting study about the Sabbath year. Apparently this is where I am today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam: Our bodies are finite; we need to rest. A woman at our church was going in for knee replacement one July. Her husband decided God was telling him to not participate in the Drama Ministry we had. When he let me know, I asked him how long he would be out. His plan was to be away from church things until the first of the following year. He made the right choice. Her recovery was long and arduous, lasting over a year.Do as the Lord leads you to do.

      Delete
  4. Great post Cecelia, a topic close to my heart, I wrote my first book about it 12 years ago and I am re-reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marja. The research on the Sabbath Years has been enlightening.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

Renew a Right Spirit

  Create in me a clean heart and renew a right spirit in within me. Cast me not from your presence, and take not your Holy Spirit from me. P...