Monday, June 12, 2017

Expectations

Image result for expectations
http://themazeofourlives.blogspot.com




            In my earlier years, I used to get all excited about upcoming events. Then, I would experience great let downs. These down times led me to be noticeably depressed. My dad noticed it one time as I waited for my boyfriend from college to arrive at our house one summer. He told my mother about how I acted.

            It was not until a few decades later that I realized I did these things to myself. I cannot expect other people to do as I want because I am not them. I am only responsible to God for myself. My mother used to tell me, “The only one you can take care of is yourself.”

            I have heard it said with a Christian slant. “We are not supposed to confess the sins of others.” We are only responsible for our own sins until we confess them to Jesus. Then we learn to lay all our cares at His feet. 



This is a Five Minute Friday piece. The prompt was: Expect.


6 comments:

  1. So often our expectations in reality are not what we had hoped they would be, or even if they are, afterwards we do feel let down when we have to "come back down to earth" and deal with the mundane things of life again. It is so easy to let those "letdowns" get us down. We need to focus instead on the wonderful blessings of God each and every day, even in the mundane things of life. I try to remind myself of that. Sometimes the mundane is a good, solid place to be...if we just allow ourselves to see God in our everyday situation and give Him the praise. Speaking to myself here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, Thank you for your wonderful wisdom filled thoughts. I especially like, " We need to focus instead on the wonderful blessings of God each and every day, even in the mundane things of life."

      Delete
  2. It's interesting how some of our challenges are generated by ourselves, isn't it? The Lord's been showing me areas lately where I've created an issue or an attitude through various things such as pride or fear. Grateful for His wisdom and gentle leading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen; You put it so nicely. As a child, I overheard adults say "She's her own worst enemy." That person seemed to make those challenges. I find I have to be extra careful about causing my own problems, even now.

      Delete
  3. Oh yes... the hard lessons of learning we are only responsible for ourselves and we can only be the boss of us! Lord - may we remember this and set healthy boundaries and expectations! So good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karrilee: Thank you for stopping in. Thank you for your lovely comment. Yes, it is one of the hardest lessons we will learn.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

February Reflections

  Getting Some Repair Work Done We had to have some work done to our bathroom. Our shower and bathtub had been out of commission f...