Thursday, October 19, 2017

Peace, If Possible

http://picphotos.net/peace-dove/


If possible, so far as it depends on you, live at peace with all. Romans 12:18 (ESV)

The Apostle Paul gives us sage advice here. I love the qualifying phrases.

“If possible,” These two words tell me that it is not always possible to live peacefully with everyone, as would like to. In Sunday school, we are studying the Christian virtue of gentleness.

“When Paul picked the word gentleness to depict an aspect of the fruit of the Spirit in Galatians 5:22, he selected the word prautes. In Paul’s day, this word was linked to the medical world and carried the idea of ‘mild medication.’ We might say a gentle person is someone who is ‘easy on your stomach.’(1.) Maybe you haven’t experienced it, but sometimes we have people in our lives who cause us discomfort due to their behavior or attitudes.”

“. . . so far as it depends on you,” We can’t control other people. We can’t confess another person’s sin before God. Speaking personally, I can rarely tell someone what to do about an issue. All I can do is listen and pray.

“ . . live at peace with all.” I’m relieved that Paul saved this phrase for the end of his statement. He shows me some compassion here in that his wording tells me he is aware that we can’t live at peace with everyone. However, I believe we have times when we have to strive for peace with our relatives, neighbors, co-workers, and acquaintances.

When I started writing this, I wanted to relate the need of peace in our personal worlds. As I chose to let it 'perk' overnight, I discovered I had several oughts against someone. I had to pray about the issues this person has made worse for several of us.


1.      Think, Act, Be(lieve) Like Jesus, Randy Frazee with Robert Noland, Zondervan, Grand Rapids, MI. © 2014 page 211

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes we just can't seem to live "at peace with all"...especially in this day of such divergent thinking on politics and spiritual values. There are times I want to totally cut off all those who don't agree with me...but then I think what a small world that would be! So I must learn to live at peace. I don't have to agree with them, but I can be peaceful. (With God's help)!! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam: Yes, we have to learn to live at peace with those who think differently from us. It is not always easy but the world would be a bleak place if we all looked alike, liked the same things and thought the same thoughts. We have to live at peace here on earth because when we get to heaven we will have to get along with those around us.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

February Reflections

  Getting Some Repair Work Done We had to have some work done to our bathroom. Our shower and bathtub had been out of commission f...