Monday, April 11, 2011

Pierced For Our Transgressions




“Surely he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows,

yet we considered him stricken by God, smitten by him, and afflicted.

But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities;

the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed.”

Isaiah 53:45(NIV)

Jesus encumbered himself with our ill manners, our ailments, our grief, burdens. We didn’t understand what God did. We might have thought the Father was punishing His Son. People could have thought God cruel for what He put Jesus through. Is this the way God would reward someone for doing His work? Why did we have to lose the Teacher?

But, God had a plan. He sent His Son to Earth so we would know God and follow His ways. Jesus healed and taught of His Father’s love. Our sins cut Him to the heart. Our lack of righteousness crushed Him. As cruel and unjust as His death seemed, this process brought is peace. I marvel at the prayer God’s Son prayed three times in Gethsemane, “If at all possible, take this cup from my lips. But, not my will, but Thine be done.” (Luke 22:42)

Because Jesus willingly gave His will over to the Father, we are healed from our illnesses, our grief, anger, impatience, talecarrying, and impure thoughts.

4 comments:

  1. Amen! His sacrifice did more than just offer us eternal life. It was an encouraging revelation for me years ago to learn that salvation means saved, delivered and healed. What a gift we have!
    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Quiet Spirit -

    When I think of all He suffered, I have utter confidence that He understands everything I go through. He is the ultimate empathizer.

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am currently reading in Isaiah, but have not come to this passage yet, but it is one i have heard of. thank you for helping me to understand it better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this passage so much. I"m amazed at Jesus' love and willingness to bear my junk, and set me free from it.

    Thanks for the heart-lift!

    ReplyDelete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

'Til the Storm Passed By

  cc This is a hymn that came to my mind this week. I became acquainted with it back in 1978. It has helped me through some difficult times....