Monday, February 27, 2012

A Servant’s Mission




“Behold! My Servant whom I uphold,

My Elect One in whom My soul delights

I have put My Spirit upon Him;

He will bring forth justice to the Gentiles.

He will not cry out nor raise His voice,

Nor cause his voice to be heard in the street.

And smoking flax He will not quench;

He will bring forth justice for truth.

He will not fail or be discouraged,

Till He has established justice in the earth;

And the coastlands shall wait for His law.”

Isaiah 42:1-4 (NKJV)



Almost every faith-based ministry, church, or community service organization I have heard of has a mission statement. I believe this practice tells the public about the objectives of each organization. All these groups have a goal as well as a mission.

God has a mission for His servant. Isaiah tells us the servant’s mission is three-fold. This mission is closely related to a goal. His servant is commissioned to do the following:



He will bring forth justice to the Gentiles: God was the creator of ALL people, Jew and Gentile alike. Historically, the Israelites were Pharisaical in the attitude. They were haughty when dealing with the Samaritans. He wanted everyone to love and adore Him, no matter what their circumstance. Jesus chose to fellowship with sinners, the down and out, and the misfits. One of the special people I look forward to seeing when I get to heaven is a man who came to our church because he had a need; he was ill and also homeless.



He will bring forth justice for truth. I have heard it said that God’s justice is like the two-edged sword. He approaches all interpersonal controversies with an open ear and sheds the light of justice on different issues involved in each matter.

Till He has established justice in the earth: God desires to establish equitable outcomes for issues that we face on this earth. This desire is a work in progress. Those of us who have lived very long know that sometimes justice is not served in certain instances. Several years ago, a friend of mine had a daughter who was victimized. The person got acquitted. When I heard this, I was upset. My friend said words to the effect that justice would come in the next life. This was a Christian lady who believed that God would never leave her nor forsake her. I learned something about her faith that day.

2 comments:

  1. I've learned that lesson, too, that 'justice' won't always be seen here on earth. We know, of course, that one day all will be set right. I've learned, too, that sometimes God does exact justice down here, and He has ways of doing it that are surprising - without our help. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhonda:
    It is a lesson we have to learn in order to grow spiritually.
    It always amazes me when God does something completely different than what we expect of Him. We have 'plan A' or 'plan B' but He comes along and institutes His Plan. It totally amazes me.

    ReplyDelete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

'Til the Storm Passed By

  cc This is a hymn that came to my mind this week. I became acquainted with it back in 1978. It has helped me through some difficult times....