Monday, May 28, 2012

Rest and Wait





“Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for him.”
Psalm 37:7 NKJV

Sometimes I get so busy that I become stressed out to the point of being physically ill.
Then, I feel drained. After one episode I attended a women’s Bible study. The leader looked at me and said, “Cecelia. You look tired.” I hadn’t realized the toll the event had taken on me. I thought about it and replied, “Yes, I am.”

Recently, a family in our church lost a son/brother. This was the second child the parents have lost. At the calling, the mother, the father and one of the sisters spoke of the relief that this loved one was in heaven.

I am told the gentleman’s co-workers attended the funeral in uniform. I heard that at least his delivery vehicle was in the processional.

The funeral was on Saturday. Sunday morning, the family suffering this loss-father, mother, and two daughters- came to worship and praise God.

How does this tie into the focus scripture, you ask? This godly family waited patiently for their loved one to be released from his Cancer-ridden body and be taken home to live with Jesus.

I have learned there is an art to waiting. We have to learn to rest, to get away from our stresses and learn to trust our God. This family has taught me so much in this time of their waiting on the Lord.

Rest: I see Jesus telling me it’s all right to sit back and have a cup of herb tea; to read a book, write in a journal, or to peck out words on a keyboard. We are to learn to relax as best we can.


. . . wait patiently: No one likes to wait. I used to think, “Oh no, why does event this take so long to come about." Patience is a learned quality. We want our way about things. Some things we don’t want to happen but they must. When we learn patience we discover we are not in control-God is. He has the last word about things. When we learn patience, we learn to trust the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

Wait, Renew, Mount

  But those who wait on the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount  up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, ...