Wednesday, August 15, 2012

God Guides in His Truth






“Show me your ways, O Lord.

Teach me your paths; guide me in your truth

and teach me for you are God my Savior,

and my hope is in you all day long.” Psalm 25:4-5 (NIV)



David penned these words, requesting God’s guidance. The words make me stop and take notice—especially the verbs.

Show David asks the Lord to let him see God’s ways. I believe he asks God to demonstrate how he, David, is to perform in his role as the ruler of the Israelite nation. Matthew Henry states it like this. “He begs direction from God in the ways of his duty.”1 How do we ask God to show us how we can do the task He gives us? Life Application Bible notes tell me our “first step is to want to be guided and to realize that God’s primary guidance system is in his Word, the Bible.”2

Teach David expresses his willingness to sit at the Lord’s feet and learn from Him. We sometimes have ‘teachable moments’ with our children. Do we receive those kinds of moments from God?

Guide David asks God to take him through issues and circumstances, as He wants them done. The Lord has described David as being ‘after my own heart.’(SCR) In spite of the sin David committed, God still had a special love for him. Do we have times when we need to ask the Lord to walk before us and lead us through problems?



1.     Commentary on the Whole Bible by Matthew Henry, p.602, © 1961 Zondervan, Grand Rapids, Michigan.

2.     Life Application Bible New International Version p. 927, © 1991 Tyndale House Publishers Wheaton Illinois; Zondervan, Grand Rapids, Michigan.


2 comments:

  1. Love it how you highlighted the verbs: show, teach and guide! Great inspirational post, thanks Cecelia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marja:
      Thank you for stopping in. I always appreciate your thoughts.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

Wait, Renew, Mount

  But those who wait on the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount  up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, ...