Friday, January 2, 2015

Consider Our Hearts, RDJ 1/2/2015






Journal Entry 1/15/2004

“Jesus called the crowd to him and said ‘Listen and understand. What goes into a man’s mouth does not make him unclean, but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him unclean. . . But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these make a man unclean.’” Matthew 15:10, 18.
              
               Jesus has been confronted by the Pharisees about hand washing. He responded with their breaking God’s word for the sake of their tradition.

               The Master told then what goes into a man’s body doesn’t make him unclean but what comes out does. The disciples went to Jesus and told Him he had offended the Pharisees. Peter asked Him to explain the parable.

               The Teacher told them that what comes out of our mouths comes from the overflow of our hearts.
               When we hear someone saying foul things, their thoughts come from a foul heart. We believe our brain controls all our speech but Jesus says our hearts do. If our heart is cleansed from sin, then what comes out of our mouth will be pure. Then we will be clean.

               King David asked God to create a new heart in him. God forgave David of his sin. He can create a new heart in us, if need be and God will forgive our sin.

UPDATE:

    This is my writing from eleven years ago.

The focus scripture came alive for me one day when I realized I said something I shouldn’t have. I thought about why I let my mouth go into saying very harsh words. I found myself thinking that I was angry to the point of frustration. Deeper than that, my heart felt as if it were boiling over.
               I learned a great lesson that day; this scripture passage is true.


Lienthusiasticallydawn.comnking to :

8 comments:

  1. Good teaching. A good reminder as well!

    The power of life and death are in the tongue...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandi: Thank you for taking the time to read my thoughts. Blessings to you and yours.

      Delete
  2. You have no idea how much I needed to read this just this very moment. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn: This morning at church, our pastor made reference to hearing 'blue' wordscoming out of people's mouths. He made the remark that Christians shouldn't talk that way. It did my heart good to hear that reminder.Thank you for stopping in. Blessings on you and yours.

      Delete
  3. It is so true that we need to protect our hearts from this world...Significantly aware of this starting out the new year. What goes in is what comes out again. May we focus on what is true, right, noble, praiseworthy and kind <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn: Thank you for stopping in. We DO need to rely on God and His word to protect our hearts from this world. Yesterday. there was an incident involving gunfire in a shopping center at Indianapolis--35 miles or so away from here. One of my friends at church told us this morning that her mother and her oldest daughter were there when it happened. They weren't harmed. My friend gave praise to God that her family members were all right.

      Delete
  4. As always , Cecelia, your succinct posts offer great wisdom and challenge us to order our hearts, minds and souls according to His Truth! Thank you, and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn; Thank you for your insightful comment. I enjoy the exercise of going back and reading the old entries and seeing how things have progressed in the intervening years. Blessings to you and yours in this new year.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

February Reflections

  Getting Some Repair Work Done We had to have some work done to our bathroom. Our shower and bathtub had been out of commission f...