Monday, February 29, 2016

Jesus and His Love



Scripture: John 13:1-7
Warner Sallman painting

Focus Scripture: “Having loved his own who were in the world, he now showed them the full extent of his love.” John 13:1b (NIV)

               Jesus, possessor of all authority of God, washed the disciples’ feet. We wonder why He would do something that servants would do. He knew of His upcoming betrayal. He knew the hearts of the eleven others. Jesus modeled love to them. I am sure they were humbled because of this deed. It was very personal to each of them. 

               When we read this as new believers, we focus on the main action, the foot washing. As we mature in Christ, we look at Jesus’ motivation.

               Only one of the disciples, Simon Peter, spoke up and asked Jesus if the He was going to wash his feet. Jesus responded with, “You do not realize now what I am doing but later you will understand.” (John 13:7)

               We all have had times where someone did something we did not understand. Usually, it is someone in authority. Even in our relationship with Jesus, conditions come to us that are beyond our comprehension. Sometimes, we have to spend quantity time in prayer and in listening for God to give us direction.

               We should be ready to hear God’s words and allow Him to work out the condition in which we find ourselves. Jesus’ reason for all He does is that He loves each of us deeply.


4 comments:

  1. "When we read this as new believers, we focus on the main action, the foot washing. As we mature in Christ, we look at Jesus’ motivation." Very true, Cecelia.
    The Lord directed me to wash someone's feet once. It was life-changing for me, and I hope ministered to the "washee" as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen: As we mature in Christ, the Bible passages come across to us in different ways. Blessings to you and yours.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes the 'foot-washing" is not a literal washing of feet, but perhaps going out of the way to do something for someone else that may be a very humbling experience. I know when I took care of my mother before she passed away, I learned to do many things for her that I never thought I would have to do. It was humbling for both of us, but such a beautiful experience that I will never forget. I remind myself of this now as I help take care of my mother in law. I picture her as my own mother, and I have learned to love her like my own mother. There are exasperating times, but also sweet times. I just have to yield to God and let Him guide me as I "wash" her feet with love. Thank you for this reminder today. I needed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam: I have had that experience of doing things for Hubby that I would have never thought of in our early years of marriage. Whenwe rely on God, He helps us through those times. Blessings on you and yours.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

February Reflections

  Getting Some Repair Work Done We had to have some work done to our bathroom. Our shower and bathtub had been out of commission f...