Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Open


Warner Sallman Painting.
Listen! I am standing at the door, knocking, if you hear my voice and open the door, I will come into you and eat with you, and you with me Revelation 3:20 (NRSV) 

When we hear the Gospel message we may or may not be receptive to it.
As God works in our hearts we realize the need to receive Him into our hearts and give Him control of our lives.

In the focus verse, we see Christ standing at a closed door. He knocks and continues to knock. Then, He tells us something that surprises us. if you hear my voice and open the door.
We have to open the door to Him.

 I have seen the painting showing that the door where Jesus knocks has no knob on His side of it. I have also seen a home décor piece depicting this verse. The first time I saw it, it set my heart to thinking.

God, in His wisdom, created each of His children with a free will. He chose to make us not like robots who always do as they are commanded because His desire was for each of His children to choose to love Him.

Let’s all proclaim the message to others to be open to Jesus and to the work of the Holy Spirit.


4 comments:

  1. I have always loved that painting of Jesus knocking on the door of our heart...and I love the fact that He's waiting for us to open...it's up to each one to make that choice...He won't barge in unexpectedly. Christmas is all about preparing our hearts to open that door and welcome Jesus in...to our hearts, our homes, our lives...I do hope that many will open that door during this Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam: We talked about this painting in Sunday school just last Sunday. I spoke of a Sunday school teacher I had who said several times,"Jesus is always a gentleman. He will not go where He is not invited." I was reminded that a second Sunday school teacher I have had said almost the same thought. Lord be with you.

      Delete
  2. Our free will, God took the risk that we would use that same free will to refuse His love... food for thought indeed. Thanks Cecelia, beautiful painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marja: I have to be honest about this "free will" issue. I don't always like knowing that someone has a free will. Especially when it come when someone has made a wrong decision or a decision I believe God wouldn't want them to make. He has dealt with me on this. I can now say that He can allow whatever He chooses for those who are facing issues. Peace and blessings.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

The Lord

  You Tube We sang this last Sunday at church last Sunday. The congregation liked it so well that the praise band director chose to include ...