Monday, December 18, 2017

SHINE

www.slideshare.net/DavidTurner28/rise-and-shine-ephesians-58-14


It is God who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2 Corinthians 4:6 (NSRV)

We have often heard we are to show Jesus to those we meet. Also, we hear we are the only Bible some people read.  What can we do when we try to incorporate these thoughts into our personas?

At my Tuesday morning prayer group, I shared a reading entitled “Shine”, from an Advent devotional book, Pauses for Advent Words of Wonder by Trevor Howard. Our Sunday school class is studying it. 

A dear friend of mine responded that she always tries to smile when she meets people in the stores and in passing. I discovered I am also trying to smile more than I have in the past.

I believe there is something else that would help us shine for Jesus. We can try to speak in well-modulated tones of voice when we answer someone else. (Here again, I point three fingers back at myself.)

One way we can do this is to think before we speak or act. Even taking a deep breath before we begin to speak might give us time to think about how we want to respond to what we hear and time to send up a sentence prayer to God to guide us in what He wants us to say and how He wants us to say it.

Lord God: Thank You for Your guidance and instruction as we learn Your ways to shine for You in this fallen world. In the Name of Jesus, I pray. Amen

A song I have had in my heart as I prepared this post.Rise and Shine and Give God the Glory,


4 comments:

  1. I love that verse, "Arise, shine, for your light has come..." It reminds me of what my mother used to say to me every morning, "Arise and shine! It's morning!" What a perfect way to start our day...arise, and shine...God has given us a new day to shine for Jesus! I love this today. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, I have discovered our need to be careful of the words we useanb how we say things. A wrong phrasing can cause heart-break to those who are already vulnerable. I am praying for a friend who recently received harsh words.

      Delete
  2. Those are great ways to shine for Jesus! Thanks for sharing, dear heart.
    Happy Christmas to you and yours, Jen

    ReplyDelete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

'Til the Storm Passed By

  cc This is a hymn that came to my mind this week. I became acquainted with it back in 1978. It has helped me through some difficult times....