Monday, April 2, 2018

Thoughts on Prayer (part 1)


Quiet Spirit.

If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14 (ESV)

I picked a book out of a basket in my writing room. The title of the book, “If my people. . .”, a 40-day prayer guide.  I leafed through it and decided to use it in the 40 days of Lent. Later in the day, I realized how I could utilize the passage 2 Chronicles 7:14, as a beginning point of my Lenten observance.

God speaks to Solomon on the occasion of dedicating the Temple. He says some very pointed things.



The LORD speaks of what His people, you and I have to do. We have to pray. He tells us if we pray, not if we share our concerns with our best friend, or talk about someone behind their back. He will respond.

When we pray, we are to humble ourselves. We are to realize that we are sinners and that He is the only perfect being.

As we prepare to pray, we are to seek His face. We are to earnestly make our way into our prayer closets and shut the door and spend quantity time in prayer. We need to spend time with Him to strengthen our relationship with Him. We should attempt to keep our ‘on the run’ prayers to a minimum.



Then, and only then, will God hear our prayers and forgive our sins and heal our land. God’s actions are contingent upon the condition that we spend time in prayer to Him.

These were some of my thoughts on prayer at the beginning of Lent.










4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts Cecelia, and how cool you are going to make it into a blog series! Looking forward to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are very strong and good points about prayer...I fear that we (I) don't seek God's face as often as I should. I pray...but not as deeply and concertedly as that very often...this is a wake-up call. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam: Thank you for your thoughts. I am convinced we all need a wake-up call from time to time. Blessings.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

The Lord

  You Tube We sang this last Sunday at church last Sunday. The congregation liked it so well that the praise band director chose to include ...