Friday, July 13, 2018

Listening to God

http://katy-katyrose.blogspot.com/2013/11/listening-to-god.html


This is another reposted entry with some additional thoughts. Also for possible use as I expand my writing ministry to include speaking. 

He who has an ear, let him listen. Revelation 2:6, 11 (ESV)

He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches Revelation 2:17, 29, 3:6, 13, 22 (ESV)

Do you remember your parents saying, “You are not listening?” I do. It was when I was in trouble and they were trying to talk to me about my misbehaving. Did you ever have to say that to your children? I probably did, also.

I have noticed that in our world today, we have certain people who seem to think they have a say-so in what we believe in our lives. I have felt they were not listening to wise counsel from God. In the Old Testament, we read of many kings “doing what was right in their own eyes.”

One evening, I read God’s letters to the seven churches in Asia Minor. I also read scriptures that address an issue that faces us. The next morning, my devotional reading for Sunday school was on the word “Listen.” The scripture the author used was Revelation 3:6, He who has an ear, let him hear what the spirit says to the churches, I got excited. I re-read the letters to the churches.
    
We studied Pauses for Pentecost written by Trevor Hudson One point Mr. Hudson, makes is that listening and obedience always go together. My take on this whole exercise is that we have to listen to the LORD and do as He directs us. For me, I need to apply this to my dealings with those around me and with my family as well as those to whom I try to assist in their walk with Jesus.

We also have words from James telling us to: Let everyone be quick to listen and slow to speak.
James 1:9 (NRSV)      
The Apostle James gives us wise advice. We need to learn to listen to those in our lives who have greater knowledge about certain issues with which we deal in life.

As a young adult, I heard the adage, “God gave us two ears and one mouth. We are to use them accordingly.” When I felt God had led to make the decision that I needed to learn to be a good listener, I realized I had to truly listen and not talk as much.


I learned these lessons when I applied this scripture to my life as I held a sensitive position in our former church. I became privy to a lot of personal issues different people had in their lives. All I could do was listen and pray for them and the needs they had.

Today, I sometimes hear stories that I believe, due to their sensitive nature, should not be shared. I have to listen but I also know that I should not talk about these circumstances. However, I sometimes fail in this area of listening and have to tell God I am sorry for my behavior.

I have read where our prayer time should be a conversation between us and the LORD. In our daily conversations, we talk and we listen. When we spend time with Him, shouldn’t we listen to what God wants us to hear?

2 comments:

  1. Listening is an art that we need to learn to cultivate in our lives. I tend to be a talker more than a listener, and sometimes I hear God whispering in my ear, "Be quiet and just listen!" And when I do that, it is amazing the things I learn. God always has something wonderful to tell me, if I would just listen. Thank you for this very important "lesson" today. I probably needed it. :) (yes, I DID need it). Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam: Yes, we sometimes tend to be talkers when we should be listeners. One of my cousins and I were together one day and we filled the air with words, just getting caught up with what we were each doing. My dad answered the phone and told the caller that I was doing what I did best. We all have those times when we talk a lot and we also have times when we are to listen to those around us and, more importantly, listen to God. Peace and blessings.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

The Lord

  You Tube We sang this last Sunday at church last Sunday. The congregation liked it so well that the praise band director chose to include ...