Friday, October 2, 2020

September Reflections

 

the cottagemarket.com


 

 Late August

           

            We had a special church service at the end of August. Our pastor and his wife were on vacation. The leader of our praise band led the service. We had a singspiration.

           

Around Home

 

We had two of our four stand fans conk-out permanently on us. We believe one got struck by lightning. We also have two window air conditioners. We still had some warm days in September.

 

Kids and Youth Fall Kickoff

           

  Our Children’s Ministries Director asked me to register those children and youth who attend the Fall Kickoff. This reminded me of kick-off carnivals of yesteryear at another church.

 

My Bad Habit to Correct

 

During this time of COVID, I have become a slug with news-junkie tendencies. I am trying to break these bad habits. With our son, Roger, coming home for Jim’s birthday, I wanted to get some things done.

           

A Loss of a Friend

 The third week of September, I was taught a lesson I hope to never forget. On Monday, my best friend Martha called me with some upsetting news. One of our friends who had been declared cancer-free had learned that her cancer had returned.  Feeling bad for our friend, I called Martha back and asked, ”What can I do to help her?” We decided to put together a list of snack foods, word search books, hand sanitizers, a tube of hand cream, a stuffed toy, and an encouragement card. 

 

On Thursday afternoon, we visited with her. We were there for about an hour. I had shared some books with Martha who passed them on to her. Martha had put the latest one we had read in the bucket with all the items we had taken to her. She returned several to me.  When we left, I accidentally dropped one of the books out of the bag. She walked out to Martha’s car and handed me the book.

 

On Friday, she was scheduled for a procedure before her usual treatment. I received a phone call from Martha. I could tell she had been crying. Our friend had a heart attack and had died. We heard later that our friend had one pain and was gone.

 

The lesson we learned: we are to always obey the Holy Spirit when He speaks to us. We are thankful we did, and we got to see her. However, we know we will see her again.     

 

Having Our Son Visit

 

It was nice to have Roger, our son, with us to help celebrate his dad’s birthday. I did not get all done, I wanted to for the visit, let us say, our house was “semi-presentable.” We all knew how long it had been since we had been together. We were glad we could be together. As for my cleaning project, I intend to build on it as I ready our home for the upcoming holidays.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Cecelia, so very sorry to hear about your friend, but how wonderful that you had the chance to visit with her before that happened...and that she was able to enjoy that time spend with you sisters in Christ. And what a blessing for her to pass suddenly into the arms of Christ without having to suffer through more cancer treatments, etc. God spared her of that pain and discomfort and took her right home to be with Him. Wow. And so glad you had a good visit with your son. I am sure he was not concerned with the presentable-ness of your home. All he cared about was being with you two and being home again. Our kids don't see the little imperfections of whether or not there is dust or things out of place...they see the faces of the ones they love and are just happy to be together. There will always be cleaning projects to do, but we don't always have time with our loved ones like we would like...so just relax and enjoy every moment you can. I love that your church is having a fall kick off for the children. So many activities have been lost due to COVID, and it is very sad to me. We still are not having Sunday School at our church, and we really don't have any children coming either. Hopefully we can get back to normal soon. Praying for that every day. I enjoyed this post and having a glimpse of your life this past month. You've been busy. God bless you, and may October be full of joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam: Thank you for your very kind thoughts. May God contiue to bless you and yours and give you peace.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

The Lord

  You Tube We sang this last Sunday at church last Sunday. The congregation liked it so well that the praise band director chose to include ...