Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Our Focus on Prayer

                   



One of my favorite devotion writers is Oswald Chambers. I recently read a short quote of his in another devotional type of book.


The last two sentences of the short quote have opened a new prayer path for me.

“We look upon prayer as a means of getting things for ourselves. The Bible idea of prayer is that we may get to know God better.” (1)


What does prayer that asks nothing for the pray or look like? Strictly as I see this, prayer is an avenue of giving praise to Him, of confessing or shortcomings to our Lord.


I wondered, is intercessory prayer, prayers said on behalf of others, considered asking to receive things for us?

I concluded that praying for another person was the Christian thing to do. When I share with another person that I am praying for him or her, that person seems to respond most appreciatively.


*(1) My Utmost For His Highest by Oswald Chambers, edited by James Reimann, Our Daily Bread Publishing. August 28 entry, first paragraph.

6 comments:

  1. I wrote down that profound Oswald Chambers quote. I bought a separate edition of the book of John (illuminated Scripture journal by Crossway) and I wrote the quote in this edition. This illuminated John is so lovely and conducive to reading that I bought and gave away 12 copies thus far. Many blessings to you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for others is a wonderful thing to do, Cecelia. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha Jane: I was taught not to think of myself. When we went someplace, my mother told me not to ask for things for me. It seemed to carry over into my prayer life when I became a committed Christian. Peace and blessings to you and yours

      Delete
  3. Terra: Thank you for telling me about the Crossway journal. I first heard of Oswald Chambers at a Women's Missions retreat when I attended a former church. I enjoy reading his thoughts in that devotional. Peace and blessings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for others and for ourselves is always good, however... there is so much more! God wants to answer our prayer by talking to us and for that to hear, we must listen and just learn to be with Him (without talking maybe) and tune in. Great post Cecelia, short and to the point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marja: Thank you for your thoughts. I realize that there is more to prayer than we sometimes realize. Peace and blessings to you and yours.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

WORSHIP SONGS

VICTORY IN JESUS An old hymn with a different voice. A new song. Our praise band played and sang it. Jesus Strong and Kind This is one I rea...