Thursday, July 6, 2023

June Reflections

 

suwalls.com


We Had No Spring


Around here the consensus is that we went from winter to summer. We had drought conditions until the 11th of June. We received a gentle slow rain. God blessed us with what we needed. Had some tornadoes at times.


Reading


I started re-reading, disciplines for the inner life by Bob and Michael Benson, a devotional book that actually gives the reader worship services: an invocation, a scripture reading for each of seven days, a selection of quotes-actual readings from different Christian authors, each week. The book is divided into topics-one sub-topic a week, on disciplines a Christian may need to develop. This book has 52 different sections, each focusing on disciplines to improve our relationship with God.


I have had this book for several years. This time I am “spot reading” it. Going back to the sections that seem to speak to me, telling me what I need to work on.


Journaling Scriptures


Each day, I try to read a scripture and journal about what it says to me. I had some information come to me that caused me heartache. I actually shed tears over what I discovered. I emailed some of my writer/blogger friends and asked for prayer and some verses of scripture that might help me deal with this issue. I have used those scriptures to help me through this time.


Scriptures on Writing


One of the blogs I read had a posting entitled “21 Bible Verses to Pray for Your Writing”. I selected certain ones of them to journal in order to improve my skill.


An Unexpected Unplugging


I was uploading some blog posts to my computer and wanted to save them to a disk. That didn’t work. I emailed some writer/blogger friends about my problem. One suggested I use a thumb drive.

I posted the blog posts to my Blogger page. Two days later, I try to access the Internet and could not. I did a word document, intending to print it out for our pastor’s wife. But my printer would not respond . A phone call to my carrier took an hour and still did not answer the problem. Our son was coming home for part of the weekend (Father’s Day). When I told him what was going on (or not going on), he said he knew what it probably was. He does a certain amount of IT work in his job. When he got the computer issue taken care of, the printer started on it’s own.


Blog


I enjoy writing my blog. Last month, I chose to write about a Biblical passage rather than a verse. It was rather long but I received a lovely comment from one of my readers.


Church Fund Raiser

Each year in June, our church holds a Rummage Sale as a fund raiser for funds for special projects. The Trustees and the Missions Committee co-sponsor this sale. The Wednesday evening supper lady holds a bake sale and serves breakfast and lunch to raise funds for the Wednesday night meals. I went over to the church on Friday to have lunch (sloppy joe, potato chips and a soft drink.) Someone had donated Italian Sausage, as a choice. The last I heard, the proceeds for the rummage sale were three times last years figure.


Hymns


From time to time I have had hymns come to my mind and “play” for lengthy times. This had not happened for quite some time. On Sunday, July 2, I woke up and had the hymn “Stand Up Stand Up for Jesus” go through my mind. Now, please understand, July 2, was our first Sunday as a new church. We joined a new denomination this spring, July 1, was the effective date.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for your recap of the month of June, Cecelia! I'm glad your fundraiser at the church went so well, too. These are tough economic times we are in, so that makes something like this even more special. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha Jane: Thank you for your kind thoughts. Those that were able to work at sorting and at the sale worked very hard, We are all thankful that it was such a successful. We were indeed blessed. Peace and blessings to you and yours.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

WORSHIP SONGS

VICTORY IN JESUS An old hymn with a different voice. A new song. Our praise band played and sang it. Jesus Strong and Kind This is one I rea...