Friday, September 12, 2008

When I Hear "Jesus Loves Me"

As I entered the Church for our monthly singspiration, I heard two children, a girl and her little brother, practicing for the service. They had chosen to sing “Jesus Love Me”. While they were still singing I shared with their grandfather that they sounded sweet.
When they sang it, I found myself focusing on the feeling that the hymn conveys and what the words might mean to those who hear them. The hymn has spoken to hearts for generations. People find the words very worshipful. The lyrics can be sung in a whisper, as a prayer, or in full voice, as in praise.

Jesus loves me, this I know. . .” as grown-ups we tend to take these words for granted. When I first heard this hymn after I had become an adult and a mother, I didn’t know what to think. The words, sung almost in a whisper, were more beautiful than I remembered.

“. . . for the Bible tells me so!” We all have times of being in need of affirmation of God’s love for us. We do have this in God’s written Word.

Little ones to Him belong. . .” God accepts all His children adult or infant. He accepts us because He made us. He loves us as we are, he knows us better than we know ourselves, yes, even better than our closest family members.

“. . . they are weak, but He is strong.” Jesus protects his precious children. He goes before us, his children, wherever we go. He goes with us no matter the circumstance. He builds hedges of protection around us when we aren’t aware of His being there.

This children’s hymn brings me comfort. The phrases soothe my soul. They cause me to pause and worship. They allow me to reflect on God’s perfect love. I will never tire of hearing or singing this very special hymn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

The Lord

  You Tube We sang this last Sunday at church last Sunday. The congregation liked it so well that the praise band director chose to include ...