Friday, August 13, 2010

How Does Faith Grow?



“Consider it pure joy, my brothers,

whenever we face trials of many kinds,

because, you know that the testing

of your faith develops perseverance.

Perseverance must finish its work so you may

be complete, not lacking anything.” (James 1:24).



When we ask Jesus into our hearts, we are instructed we can trust Him for our every need. As time passes, events take place that cause anxiety and strain our hearts and minds. If we remain with God and let Him guide us through them, we find our faith deepens.

In the book of James (James 1:2), the writer makes a statement that used to alarm me, “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever we face trials of many kinds.” For many years, I stumbled over these words. I couldn’t find joy in my trials. While I have had my share of trials, most of the time, I either made myself sick or wore myself out trying to please everyone. I had to learn to work with the elements of each situation and wait for the outcome. God always brought me through.


One Sunday in church, we heard that passage again, but, that time, my mind honed in on the next verses, “because, you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so you may be complete, not lacking anything.” (:34). I realized what James was saying. We have to have these trials in order to grow stronger in our faith. It is through a strong faith we gain the ability to stay the course. As we learn to persevere our faith grows. Yes, as I see it, this process follows a circle.

4 comments:

  1. It really does, doesn't it? And I believe too, that we gain faith by hearing and meditating on His word which is part of this circle. Once again, I am thankful for His grace and patience.
    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. How true. In our trials we learn and persevere. God is so good!

    Blessings,
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how the Lord turns our hard times into blessings when we trust Him.

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

February Reflections

  Getting Some Repair Work Done We had to have some work done to our bathroom. Our shower and bathtub had been out of commission f...