Monday, August 9, 2010

Thoughts on Worship

Enter into his gates with thanksgiving,
and into his courts with praise:

be thankful unto him, and bless his name. Psalm 100:4 (KJV)



Looking back, I remember a time when worship seemed bland. I could take it or leave it. Then, then church I belonged to held a special weekend of spiritual emphasis.

Those who came to minister to us asked others of their group to pray for them as they spoke. They talked about prayer partners. These ideas, while not foreign to me, were ones I hadn’t applied to my heart.

As the weekend came to a close, one of our ladies spoke of something I had truly never thought about. She said we need to prepare to worship as we would for company or for a time away from home. We need to search our hearts and clear up anything that stands between the Lord and us.

Another thing she reminded us was we need to ask the Holy Spirit into our house of worship-to be present at each service. These preparations allow our hearts to be lighter and more receptive to God’s leading in worship.

The process-simple as it sounds makes a difference in what I receive from the worship service.

In the Christmas carol, JOY TO THE WORLD, the writer inserts the phrase- “Let every heart prepare Him room.” As God’s children, we need to follow these words on at least a daily basis. While I don’t always practice these habits, I know when I do I will gain what I need from the worship hour. I intend to apply these customs daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

The Lord

  You Tube We sang this last Sunday at church last Sunday. The congregation liked it so well that the praise band director chose to include ...