Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Out of My Comfort Zone




“Show me your ways, O Lord,

teach me your paths;

guide me in your truth

and teach me,

for you are God my Savior,

and my hope is in You. ” Psalm 25:4-5



On a trip to see friends in the southern part of our state, I did something for the first time in my life. Hubby and his friend were going to take a Jeep ride out across fields on his farm land and adjoining land belonging to his family. I got to go along.

Hubby drove first. The ride was bumpy; the vehicle jerked as he tried to get the 4-wheel dive to work.

When our friend drove, the ride went better. We still had bumpy terrain. But the ride was smoother. We crossed a creek bed in two different places. We made a big circle to get back to the barn.

I found myself thinking about how life can be like this off roading experience. In life we sometimes get pushed out of our comfort zone. We have no clear path to follow. Sometimes life puts things in our way and we become entangled in them.

On that Jeep ride we had fallen branches got in our way, even into our wheels. When we went across the creek bed, we had to descend it’s bank to get across and go up the other side. A couple of times I felt uneasy but, after that, I felt our friend knew what he was doing.

When God takes us out of our comfort zone, we sometime have times of fear and get tied up with things we shouldn’t. But, we learn to relax and rely on our Guide and we see His plan unfold.

The time we spent on that ride gave us a memory. It allowed me to see the beauty of God’s earth from a different perspective. I was in the scene, a small part of what was going on. The blue sky and the cirrus clouds formed a canopy over the fall display of God’s world. We even saw a deer off in the distance as it headed for higher ground.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Quiet Spirit -

    I love this! While I may not know what's around the corner, the Lord does. As long as I follow Him, He'll take good care of me.

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your off-road ride analogy. I often get caught up in fear when faced with unfamiliar circumstances. Then, like you say, as I see God's plan unfold, I relax. I'm trying to learn to tackle fear by focusing on God even before I begin to see His plan.

    Thanks for a thought-inspiring post.
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a tremendous insight, dear sister. Thanks for sharing it.

    I am out of my cz right now, writing a book proposal. But I'm claiming Ps. 31:24 and Phil 4:19. God will get me up that creek bank and onto solid ground, IF I trust his driving!

    Love you,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. My pastor's wife sent me your link. I know I will be coming back to feed my soul and give myself food for thought.

    ReplyDelete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

February Reflections

  Getting Some Repair Work Done We had to have some work done to our bathroom. Our shower and bathtub had been out of commission f...