Friday, June 3, 2011

Our Strength, Our Fortress, Our Refuge



“O Lord, my strength and my fortress, my refuge in time of distress. . .”

Jer. 16:19a (NIV)



Jeremiah used three different words to speak of God’s protection over himself. Do we understand the Father’s different roles in our times of need?

The prophet sees God as his strength. When we experience weakness as we face something that causes fear, we can call upon the Lord to help us through and be victorious over those issues that cause us pain and uncertainty.

Jeremiah sees the Father as his fortress. When enemies come at us, we can run to Him and seek protection from whatever puts us in harm’s way. All we have to do is call His name and He will wrap His arms of safety around us.

The son of Hilkiah refers to the Lord God as his refuge. A refuge is a haven of peace we seek out when something about daily life gets us down. It could be just our taking a walk or even a nap and finding we are refreshed afterward. Or a nice chat with a friend about nothing in particular-just catching up about your days activities.

God protects us according to what we need. He keeps us safe from the events of life as He sees our desire or even our longing.

Sometimes, we have to accept the condition that life throws at us and give that circumstance to God to let Him do with it what He will. Several times in my life I have had to do this. God was with me during those times. I still had some difficult moments but He sustained me. By being there as my strength, He brought me joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

Wait, Renew, Mount

  But those who wait on the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount  up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, ...