Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Our Lenten Witness



“A truthful witness gives honest testimony, but a false witness tells lies.” Proverbs12:17 (NIV)
“A false witness will not go unpunished, and he who pours our lies will not go free.” Proverbs 19:5(NIV)

As children of God we have opportunities to witness for Him. We are not aware of the number of times we have made a statement for Christ.
My husband and I stood in line at a local cafeteria. I had to decide on the type of roll I wanted with my meal. I looked longingly at the cinnamon roll. The worker behind the counter noticed what I saw. She asked, “Do you want that cinnamon roll?”
I rallied from my wistful state and said, “I gave up sweets. I better have the wheat roll.”
As we were eating our meal, the young lady made her way around the nearby tables, asking if the diners needed anything. She came to our table.
“What made you give up sweets?” She looked at me as she waited for my answer.
I paused and whispered, “For Lent.”
“You’re my hero.”
Here this young woman responded to my short answer. I didn’t know this person. I hadn’t seen her working there before. I only had these short snippets of conversation with her and, yet, she may have been searching for God. Only He knows if I will find out.
This incident reminds me of something I read years ago. Be careful what you say or do because you might be the only Bible some people read. I still think of this from time to time, especially when I may have messed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

Wait, Renew, Mount

  But those who wait on the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount  up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, ...