Friday, December 7, 2012

Adoration RJD December 2012



wikimedia
(Taken from Journal 2/26/1997)


Adoration-that’s the devotional topic this week (disciplines for the inner life.) One writer says we use the word ‘adore’ to describe lesser and silly things. And that we have lost the practice of Adoration to God in “superficial wonder and feeling.” (Edward J Farrell)
Pastor Mike, a former pastor at a church we belonged to,  used to tell us we were to “Worship God for Who He is.” that we were to focus upon the person of God and not upon what He can do for or give to us.
Psalm 150 tells us to praise the Lord. The psalmist uses the word “praise” 13 times in six verses. A footnote told me that the phrase “Praise the Lord” in Hebrew is hallelia Yah. The English language has directly taken this Hebrew phrase and made it into one word.
God is Creator, pure, just, merciful, honorable, faithful, truth, liberator, and unifies His children.

Holy one, set apart 
All powerful, none stronger
  Liberator frees us from our sin.
 Life eternal, forever alive                                                                       
Everlasting, no end to God’s presence
 Love, unconditional                                                                       
Yokefellow, always beside us.
All Knowing
 Heavenly Father

Update:
As I prepared this journal entry, I received a phone call. One of the  ladies of our church l had passed away. On Monday, my visitation partner and I went to the hospital to make a call on this dear person. She told us that she had someone with her at all times; her Jesus was with her at all times. Before we left, we had prayer for her; then she had prayer for us. We who went to minister to her, received a great blessing.This lady is with the Lord as of November 30, 2012.  Her Celebration of Life service was Wednesday.

Linking up to beneaththesurface-dawn.blogspot.com

10 comments:

  1. Hi Cecelia, I am sorry for the loss of your friend but glad that you had the time to share in the special blessing visiting her.

    I am sure you overlooked it in light of things, but wanted to let you know you did not link up your post! ;) When you have a moment, hope to see you linked so others may enjoy reading your heart! If you would also add the link back to our RJD post it would help others discover too!

    In his Grace, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn: Thank you for the kind words. Just last night a lady told me she missed the one who departed lady. Both the lady and the departed one are in Sunday school class with me.

      Delete
  2. Wow, Cecelia, the line, "worship God for who He is, not for what He can do or give to us." (my paraphrase. This was lived out in the woman you saw in the hospital--what a lovely way to remind us. She asked for nothing because HE was there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeskmom:
      Thank you for your thought; I hadn't realized that yet. Back in the summer she was on hospice for a short while and when she got to feeling better she discharged the service. We were amazed, people began think she had a special deal with God.

      Delete
  3. I like your hallelujah Cecelia, and I am glad to hear that you were encouraged, even through the passing away of a friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thank you for your kind thoughts. Sometimes I enjoy finding acrostics- they make me think.

      Delete
  4. So sorry for the loss of your friend, Cecelia. Thanks so much for sharing this. I liked the acrostic - very thought provoking.

    Blessings for your week,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. She will be missed but her family and her church family all know where she is. I like acrostics; they make me think more deeply about the original word.

      Delete
  5. "Celebration of life service." I like that! That's what I'd like mine to be.

    How fitting, this time of year...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda;
      Her obituary contained the phrase,'celebration of life'.Twice,she had told our pastor that she wanted laughter at her service. Her family also knew it. They honored her wishes.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

February Reflections

  Getting Some Repair Work Done We had to have some work done to our bathroom. Our shower and bathtub had been out of commission f...