Saturday, May 10, 2014

Choose Life



“See, I set before you today life and prosperity, death and destruction. For I command you today to love the LORD your God, to walk in his way, and to keep his commands, decrees and laws; then you will live and increase, and the LORD your God will bless you in the land you are entering to possess. . . .This day, I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life so that you and your children may live. . . .” Deut. 30:15-16, 19 (NIV) {Emphasis added}

Each day we experience the opportunity to make a choice. It could be whether to rise with the first alarm clock, what to do about breakfast, or what to wear that day. Some days what we choose can determine a major change in our lives. We need to treat these major options as serious as we can. I have some friends who have had to decide about certain issues that affect a loved one’s life. When we are faced with these problems, we have to trust God for His guidance.
When I first found this passage, I was terribly upset about an issue that kept coming to the forefront of our home. On this particular evening, I chose to read my Bible. I felt the words “choose life” were directed at me. I had not always looked at issues in the negative. I realized I needed to focus on the positive that would come out of the issue, once the issue was behind us. As I reflect on that time, I find myself giving thanks to God for directing me- a confused, depressed child of His- to that message.
“The choice before the Israelites was ultimately one of life or death (Moses called the permanent, unchanging heaven and earth to witness the making of this covenant (Deuteronomy 30:19). Those who made ancient Near Eastern treaties commonly called witnesses to attest them, as God did here. God also urged the people to look at the consequences of their choice and to choose life and obedience deliberately (Deuteronomy 30:19-20). The highest motive, love for God, would enable the Israelites to obey the Lord steadfastly. They would consequently "live in the land" God had promised the patriarchs (Deuteronomy 30:20)”.1

***********
Graphic:dwellingintheword.wordpress.com


1.           Expository Notes of Dr. Thomas Constable as seen on Study Light.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

February Reflections

  Getting Some Repair Work Done We had to have some work done to our bathroom. Our shower and bathtub had been out of commission f...