Friday, September 26, 2014

A very Great Reward


“After this, the word of the Lord came to Abram in a vision:
 ‘Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, your very great reward.’”
Gen 15:1

God spoke words of comfort to Abram, He telling him to not fear. Abram had stood for God in dealing with the king of Sodom. (Genesis 14:21-24)
God says very comforting words here. He tells Abram, “Do not be afraid. . . ” A person’s fears seem to mould one’s personality or at least their mindset. I have found that a lot of people’s peculiar behavior stems from their fears.
God then tells Abram, “I am your shield. . .” A shield protects us from the elements. We have windshields in our cars. We carry umbrellas to use when it rains. I carry one in my purse, just in case. 
God also identifies Himself as Abram’s “. . . very great reward.”  The Creator of the universe cared enough about the stand Abram took to give him a special relationship as a reward for how he approached one who was from the world.
God is also our “very great reward.” We don’t deserve Him being our friend. We don’t deserve His love. But, He chooses to love us in spite of all our short comings and our sins.


4 comments:

  1. Praise God that He does do that..."chooses to love us in spite of all our short comings and our sins." If He didn't, where would we be? LOST/without any hope of salvation. I am so thankful for that great love and mercy..and protection from "the elements" of this life. Great reminder here. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have to remember when we sin, we ask God for forgiveness. He then places that transgression into the 'sea of forgetfullness"

      Delete
  2. How gracious and kind He is to not only accept us, but to reward us. Great thought to start the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rhonda; It seems if I start out my week with God, each day goes better.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

'Til the Storm Passed By

  cc This is a hymn that came to my mind this week. I became acquainted with it back in 1978. It has helped me through some difficult times....