Friday, February 20, 2015

If We Love Jesus




“Jesus replied, ‘If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching.
My Father will love him and we will come to him
and make our home with him.’”
John 14:23 (NIV)

               Jesus speaks of obedience, He tells us it comes because of our love for Him. I find it interesting that He speaks of an outcome of our obedience—God loves us and they together will come to the one who carries out God’s Will and will live with him or her. What can we do to practice or better practice obedience to God?

                Do we listen to what He tells us? I had a relative who would call me and ask my advice about a circumstance in her life. She would tell me she had two or three options she could choose to follow. She always seemed to pick the option she already had decided on before she called. I felt she wasted her time and mine by doing this ritual.

               We can’t do that with God. When God tells us something, we can’t say, “I’m going to do what I want about this.” We asked Him; He guides us and we should follow His leading.

               Do we spend time with him in prayer? I have a friend who told me she had to get out of the habit of praying ‘hit and run’ prayers or ‘catch you later, God’ prayers. I love the thought I read several years ago, “If you’re too busy to pray, you are too busy.” Maybe we are too busy. We might need to pare down some of our activities in order to make more room for time with God in our lives.

               Do we spend time in God’s Word? God gave us this wonderful guide to Him and His thoughts in order to help us live. We will be calmer more confident people when we know what God expects from us, His children. 

             
As I review this before posting, I have realized that I have been doing what I want to about my eating habits, too much candy and snack food. It’s something I go through about this time of the winter. I will be taking care of this lapse in my life. I know I have to in order to be able to live and work for Him.


               As we prepare our hearts to celebrate Christ’s Resurrection, let’s prepare our hearts in order to be more acceptable to Him.

10 comments:

  1. Cecelia- Good reminders and questions to ponder...God is so good to us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kel: Thank you for stopping by. Yes, God is wonderful to us.

      Delete
  2. Yes, "if you're too busy to pray, you're too busy..." What a great thought! I am going to remember that one. I have a tendency to pray on the run a lot...and yet oftentimes I feel like I am in a constant conversation with God all day long. However, I know I need that time of undivided attention directed heavenward...no distractions while driving, walking, etc. Absolute undivided attention in my prayer time with God. Then perhaps I would hear His answers more clearly and understand them better. Good food for thought today that I need to put into action. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam: Thank you for stopping in. Thank you for your kind thoughts. Blessings to you and yours.

      Delete
  3. These are good questions, ones worthy of reflection all year round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen: Thank you for stopping by. These are questions that God has laid on my heart many times. Blessing to you and yours.

      Delete
  4. Hi Cecelia! Listening and following...those are things we really need to do with Christ. And each other too. How frustrating to have a friend that never listens! Why ask for advice and then not listen at all? Well, I guess I do that too with the Lord. Ask and then do whatever I want. Sigh.
    You are not the only one who struggles with snacking. My husband and I are working on that now. Hopefully we'll both make it together.
    Blessings,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ceil: Thank you for your wonderful thoughts. We have to seek God in order to know what He wants us to do. Blessings to you and yours.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

February Reflections

  Getting Some Repair Work Done We had to have some work done to our bathroom. Our shower and bathtub had been out of commission f...