Thursday, January 26, 2017

My Prayer

 "Investigate my life, O God,


         

          

       


                

           
       Find out everything about me; 
  Cross-examine and test me,
Cecelia Lester 
        Get a clear picture of what I’m about.
   See for yourself if I have done anything wrong—
            Then guide me on the road to eternal life."      
Psalm 139:23-24 (MSG)


“Investigate my life, O God,”
           
            David, in essence, asks the Lord to put his life under a microscope.

            I recently had a circumstance enter my life that has caused me to take a look at myself. Once, I spent time putting my actions under a magnifying glass. At that time I needed to decide if my behavior allowed me to be worthy of a position in which I had found myself. Again, I find myself evaluating my motives, my physical actions, and my speech.

“find out everything about me;”
           
            The shepherd king tells God to look at every part of his life.
           
            In the previous time of introspection, I noticed everything I did and wondered how it looked to others. This time, I am concerned about how I look to God. Hence the different perspective, magnifying glass versus a microscope.

“Cross-examine and test me,”
            David allows the Lord to question him and everything about him and to judge him. He even allows the Lord to test him.
           
            Sometimes, I believe that God tests me. Other times, I conclude that the world temps me as a part of a test to see what I am made of.

“get a clear picture of what I’m about.”
            David desires God fully to see what motivates him and how he comes across. He expects God to show him the areas in which he fails to follow God’s leading.
           
            I want to have a sharp picture of who I am and what I believe. I also want those who know me to be able to know the real me, even those who might not care for me.

“See for yourself if I have done anything wrong—“
            David says these words because he wants to correct what God sees as wrong in him.
           
            I want to discipline myself in the areas that God finds amiss in my life.      

“then guide me on the road to eternal life.”
           
            David’s ultimate desire is that he spend eternity in heaven with the Lord.
           

            It is my hope, as it is with any devout Christian, to be judged worthy to enter heaven when my time here on earth is over.

4 comments:

  1. Wow...this really makes me think...looking at myself under the microscope of God's vision...hmmm, not sure I like what I see. This is something to not only think about but to pray about. Thank you for these thoughts on introspection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, Thank you for your lovely comments. I have had to spend time reading and praying about these things. Blessings on you and yours.

      Delete
  2. Hi Cecelia! I think we all hope to live with God forever in heaven, and what a great way to do it. Think of how what we do looks to God, not to others.
    Our lives are not comparison contests, but learning and trying to live the way God calls us to be. It's not easy, and we will make mistakes. But Our Father is there, ready to forgive, and allow us to start over. Sometimes, people don't let us do that. But our God does.
    Blessings,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ceil: Thank you for your wonderful thoughts. I especially like this part,"Think of how what we do looks to God, not to others. Our lives are not comparison contests, but learning and trying to live the way God calls us to be. It's not easy, and we will make mistakes. But Our Father is there, ready to forgive, and allow us to start over. Blessings on you my friend.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

February Reflections

  Getting Some Repair Work Done We had to have some work done to our bathroom. Our shower and bathtub had been out of commission f...