Friday, February 17, 2017

No Greater Love

February- The Love of God, the Love of Christ

Cecelia Lester


“Greater love has no one than this that he lay his life down for his friend.” John 15:13 (NIV)

            We talk about love this time of year. Husbands profess their love for their wives by purchasing flowers, and candy. Some young men, in order to impress their girlfriends, do what they can to show their feelings on Valentine’s Day. In the late 1970’s, I purchased some of those small heart-shaped boxes of candy. My son and I gave them people who seemed to be by themselves.
One I purchased went to my Hubby’s sister. She had gone through a divorce and I knew she was one of those who would be alone.

            A few weeks later, she told Hubby what we had done. What he related to me was; she told him, “I had never gotten Valentine candy before.”

            When we study Jesus ’giving his life for us, anything we do to show our love for another pales by comparison.


            We should continue to show others Jesus’ love as we are able. Small, yet sincere, ways are appropriate. When I was in the nursing home a mother and daughter with limited means decorated place mats and gave one each to the people they visited. I was touched; I’m sure the others were also. What I am trying to say is it doesn’t take big things to express the love of Jesus to another person.

5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful way to show Jesus' love to those who need it most--lonely, afraid, unhappy ones. You are so thoughtful and kind!
    Last year the church I work for sent my daughter--who was going through a very rough time--a "care" package including a heart shaped box of candy. She was so touched and thankful. Little things like this mean a lot to a hurting person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanette: I am thankful to hear that your employing church did that for your daughter. I know she felt loved. One of my favorite verses is Matt. 25:40 "“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me." That church served Jesus as they served your daughter.

      Delete
  2. Hi Cecelia! Oh my gosh, what a wonderful story you tell here! What seemed like such a small thing was really joy-giving to your SIL. I think it teaches all of us that it doesn't take big things to make a difference.
    A very inspirational post!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ceil: I have discovered that all it can take is a kind word spoken at the right time.

      Delete
    2. Ceil: I have discovered that all it can take is a kind word spoken at the right time. Blessings to you and yours.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

God Alone

  Jesus and the children at our church's prayer walk.          I will both lie down in peace and sleep;  For You alone, O LORD make ...