Wednesday, April 5, 2017

More of Pilate’s Thoughts

Image result for Pilate and the crowd
The Masters Table. WordPress. com


            Those Jews were hard to deal with; they wanted this Jesus dead. They claimed they have a law saying he must die because he claimed to be the Son of God. I went inside again and questioned this Jesus. He chose not to answer. His not speaking frustrated me.  He seemed unconcerned even though I had the power to either let him go free or crucify him.

            Then, he told me any power I had, came from above. And those who had handed him over were guilty of a greater sin.

            I tried very hard to give him back to the Jews but they didn’t want him. They wanted him crucified. I had no recourse. I had to do as they insisted. I believed he was speaking the truth- he was the Son of God.

            During these proceedings, my wife sent a messenger to me. She had experienced a sleepless night. Her message to me was not to bring harm to this Jesus.


            Three times I told the Jews of Jesus’ innocence. I couldn’t understand why these people wanted to kill him. But, they could make trouble for me with my superiors in Rome. I was desperate, I HAD to do as the crowd wanted.
_________________________________________________

On My Father's Side one of my favorite gospel hymns.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Cecelia! In many ways, Pilate is a tragic figure isn't he? He did try (weakly) to save Jesus, give him an out. But in the end, he bowed to pressure. So I guess he's a lot like me, I try to do the right things, but sometimes bow to pressure. I know that hurts Jesus too.
    This is a very thoughtful reflection, I really enjoyed it.
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughtful comments. Yes, he's a lot like all of us. We sometimes feel we have to abandon what we feel deep down in our hearts, to appease those around us.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I do wonder about Pilate sometimes...I wonder if we might just see him in heaven? I really think he was very close to belief...if not already there...but only God knows for sure. Somehow, I've just had a feeling that his heart was not in doing what he had to do...and that perhaps his heart was changed in the process. We shall see someday. Thank you for these thought provoking (in a good way) posts. I've been a little out of touch lately, just can't get in the groove, but I'm working my way back. I guess my brain needed a break. LOL. Have a blessed day my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, you are very insightful. I believe Pilate was torn between what he discovered in talking with Jesus, what he felt would happen to him and his career, and what the crowd insisted upon.

      We all need breaks from time to time. I, myself, have gone through a prolonged dry-spell. Blessings on you and yours.

      Delete
  3. Good post on Pilate's thoughts Cecelia, thank you. It is such an interesting scene... he had Truth standing right in front of Him. Sometimes I wonder if we would all had recognized him. Well, I wrote extensively about that scene in my latest book Spirit of Truth :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marja: Thank you for your thoughts. I believe Pilate was conflicted between his keeping his job and what he felt in his heart. Blessings on you and yours

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

February Reflections

  Getting Some Repair Work Done We had to have some work done to our bathroom. Our shower and bathtub had been out of commission f...