Monday, January 15, 2018

New Commandment

http://www.i-love-the-bible.pw


A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you are to love one another. By this all people will know you are my disciples if you have love for one another. John 13:34-35 (ESV)

The scene is in the Upper Room, Jesus is talking to His disciples. He has just sent Judas Iscariot out to do what he, Judas, planned to do. Jesus then speaks of His being glorified,  of the Father being glorified in Him.

He then gives the remaining disciples a new command. “. . . love one another: just as I have loved you, you are to love one another.”

How did Jesus’ new command impact the disciples? After Jesus sent His Holy Spirit, they were able to continue the work He began.   

How does this command affect people of today?
I had a friend who now lives in heaven who never met a stranger. While we worked a bazaar booth for our church missionary group one year, she talked to each of those stopping by as if she had known them for a long time. I have come to believe that was how God allowed her to fulfill this command.

How does this commandment affect me? I find I am more of an introvert than my friend was. I listen to people as they speak of their needs and spend time praying with them and for them. Or I might try to send them an encouragement card.

A friend of mine went through a difficult time recently. As I did some Christmas shopping, I came across some small clear plastic objects. Each one had scripture verse and a cross on the backside of it as you looked at it. She had a birthday later in the month. When I gave it to her early, she seemed thrilled that someone was thinking of her and praying for her as God led her through her time of need.

May we all find ways to carry out Jesus’s new command in this coming year.



2 comments:

  1. I too, am more of an introvert. It can be a challenge when surrounded with extroverts, but I've found the Lord often prompts me to reach out to others. My prayer for 2018 has been that He would show me where to serve, who to reach out to, etc. Thanks for this always timely reminder, Cecelia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you, Karen. I find I am spending more time in prayer for others during this winter siege. Also, I am learning to rely on Him for more things.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

'Til the Storm Passed By

  cc This is a hymn that came to my mind this week. I became acquainted with it back in 1978. It has helped me through some difficult times....