Thursday, February 8, 2018

Love God Entirely

http://www.thequotepedia.com/quotes/worship/page/7/
                                                                                  





You shall love the Lord, your God with all your heart and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the greatest commandment. Matthew 22:37-38 (ESV)

Jesus responds to a lawyer’s question with our focus verse. I wonder why the why the man posed the question. Was he seriously seeking an answer to something that bothered him? Did the group of Sadducees put that lawyer up to asking a question in an attempt to trick or embarrass Jesus?

His answer may have surprised those in the crowd. The question, as presented, asks about a high thing, the greatest commandment. The Master told the group three ways in which to love God.
 
“with all your heart,” The human heart thought to be the seat of our emotions. When we choose to love another person, we want the best for that person. When we love God, our desire is to live for Him.

“with all your soul,” The soul is man’s true self, who we really are. Said another way, our soul is our inner core. When we say we know a person’s soul, we know his or her inner being.

“with all your mind.” Our minds control our thoughts as well as our movements. What we think at times dictates what we say or do. Our words convey more than we realize. Sometimes they convey hurt and cause problems. As followers of Christ, we are to represent Him in the world. As His emissaries, we are to live for Him hourly and daily.

Father God;
I thank You for Your lesson on how to love You. I ask that You help me to love You according to this verse in order that I may truly represent You in this fallen world. In the Name of Jesus, I pray. AMEN


2 comments:

  1. I love this lesson on how to Love God Entirely. It isn't always as easy as we think...we allow too much stuff to get in the way some times and God slips down to 2nd or 3rd place in our hearts, souls, and minds. I pray that He will help me to keep Him in 1st place always, entirely, forever. Amen. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam: Thank you for your thoughtful comments. I know I have to be careful I don't get too involved in things that causes me to put things between God and myself.

    ReplyDelete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

February Reflections

  Getting Some Repair Work Done We had to have some work done to our bathroom. Our shower and bathtub had been out of commission f...