Monday, March 26, 2018

Light

Godsongs.net


Again, Jesus spoke, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but will have the light of life.” John 8:12 (NRSV)

In our lives, due to our humanity, we, as well as others, have times of experiencing darkness. Uncertain times can bring times of fear. Financial difficulties, health crises, unemployment and marital problems all have caused people to begin to doubt themselves.

Some of these issues can cause people to sink into depression. However, there are remedies to looking at things cheerily while others might have a bleak attitude.  I just got off the phone from talking to my Sunday school teacher’s wife. She works in our church office. We go to talking about the weather. She told me our pastor came in today wearing his snowman tie and then went into the kitchen and found his snowman mug for his coffee. His answer to all this is, “You just have to embrace the weather.”

When one is faced with seemingly insurmountable issues in his or her life, we can turn them over to Jesus and let Him smooth out the problems.

I remember in some old movies when a family was facing hard financial times their neighbors would have a ‘rent party.’ At a church we were in, the congregation would hold a ‘pound party’ where the people would each bring a pound of some food item and give the items to the new preacher or do one for pastor appreciation month. Some places call it ‘pounding the preacher.’

Once, when I was a child, we went up to see my great-uncle while my dad was laid-off from his job. As we were getting ready to leave, here came Uncle Charlie carrying an armload of fresh vegetables for us. I didn’t understand why he did this until I was older. He wanted to help us out.

When I was in college, a fraternity house caught fire. That fire was a total loss of the house and all its contents. All the women in my residence hall started donating things-blankets, pillows shampoo, toothpaste, soap, anything that they thought could help those displaced men.

Sometimes, we get to extend Jesus’ light to others. A get-well card, a condolence card, a phone call, or a cheery note just to tell a person we are praying for them will take away the feelings of gloom and sadness. We have times where someone needs to hear a special compliment from us. That thought might lighten their load and brighten their day.

Jesus calls Himself the light of the world because His Father sent Him to cast light into our world and to lead us out of the dark places into which it can lead us.

Praise the LORD for the light Jesus brings to us.

______________
If this looks and sound familiar to you, it's my mistake. I was trying something different and wasn't sure if it would work and I deleted this entry instead of the one I was working on. Please for give me for this error.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

The Lord

  You Tube We sang this last Sunday at church last Sunday. The congregation liked it so well that the praise band director chose to include ...