Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Trouble



Times of Trouble Bring Rays of Joy, part 2


Do you remember hearing your parents say, “You are in trouble”? They did it because they loved us and had to correct our thinking. Because of all those lectures, a lot of us became better children and then better people.

As adults, we may have had or seen times of trouble. Jesus tells us. I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world, you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.” John 16:33 (ESV)

The various translations use different words for tribulation. 

You will find trouble in the world—(J. B. Phillips)

In the world you have distress. (CEB)

The world will make you suffer. (GNT)

You will have suffering in this world. (HCSB)

These words are all sandwiched between Jesus’ words

A special friend and I were talking about different issues we know people are facing. Some of these issues create feelings of distress. She referred to the name of my book. She said that having trouble in our lives strengthens us and makes us grow closer to God, if we allow it to.

One of my relatives called one day and, in the course of the conversation she sounded emotionally distraught and said. “The Bible says that we will have trouble in this world.” My response was, “Yes it says that but Jesus also tells us in the next few words that He has overcome the world.”


Looking back over my life, I see times where I have learned from my issues and my problem times. I am not the same person emotionally, mentally, or spiritually that I was a half-century ago. I am more conservative in my thinking; more realistic in my plans, and more mature on my relationship with Christ.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, in our times of trouble, we find that God is always PRESENT...He never leaves us to struggle alone. We gain strength through our weaknesses because God is helping us to exercise our heart and soul and spirit. Praise God!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Pam. We only have to ask and then listen for His guidance.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

Wait, Renew, Mount

  But those who wait on the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount  up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, ...