Tuesday, September 11, 2018

When We Need Patience

MYBIBLE.COM

Cease from anger and forsake wrath: fret not in any wise to do evil. For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth. Psalm 37: 8-9 (KJV)

These are words penned by David. He writes that we should refrain from being angry and not seek revenge for any hurt inflicted on us.

Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord. Romans 12:19 (KJV)

Paul tells us in the anew Testament no to act out our anger. When we react to hurts, we go against God’s Word and retaliate we sin and even risk creating bigger issues.

Both of these Biblical heroes tell us not to get angry or to seek revenge.

Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also. Matthew 5:38-40 (KJV)

Our Lord Jesus Christ tells us to not resist the one inflicting the pain. He further tells us to take that pain. He also tells us to give up more than asked for when we face a lawsuit.

When my patience runs thin, I get frustrated. I know this about myself. I try to not allow myself to become frustrated because the next emotion I feel is that of anger. I have to remember the words of Paul In your anger do not sin’: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, Ephesians 4:26

We all need to practice patience in our daily lives. The presence of road rage is due to our people having no patience. The antidote to our not having patience is to step back, take a look at the circumstance and pray to God for His guidance to get us through the situation.


4 comments:

  1. We all need it and God will give it. Patience is fruit of the Holy Spirit in us, thank you Jesus! Good reminder, this post Cecelia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marja: Yes, we all need to be patient and God is the only one who will give it. We have had sermons on the Fruit of the Spirit most of this year. Next month, our sermons will be about self-control.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I have had to pray for patience and for grace to let anger and hurt go. When people who are supposed to love you heap insults and inflict emotional pain, it is easy to fall prey to that assault and give it back to them. But may God continue to help me to stay calm and pray for those who hurt us...they are suffering in some way too. This was a good post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam: We have to learn to look at these hurtful treatments and those who do them to us through the eyes of Jesus. It is difficult to do at first but, as time goes by, we learn to do this. Peace and blessings.

    ReplyDelete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

'Til the Storm Passed By

  cc This is a hymn that came to my mind this week. I became acquainted with it back in 1978. It has helped me through some difficult times....