Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Martha’s Thankfulness

http://scripturehandmaidens.blogspot.com/2011/03
/mary-and-martha.html


Today, we finish our interviews with Biblical people who received special blessings from Jesus. Today we will hear from Martha.

Quiet Spirit: Martha, thank you for your patience, are you ready to share your story with us?

Martha:  Yes, thank you. I am so glad to be here to share my heart with all your friends.

Q.S.: Tell us about yourself.

Martha: I live in Bethany on the eastern slope of Mount Olivet, near the Jericho road. Bethpage and Bethlehem are nearby. We could walk the short distance to Jerusalem.

 Q.S.: How did you meet Jesus?

Martha: My brother Lazarus, my sister Mary, and I heard of the miracles He performed. Those who witnessed these miracles and heard His preaching were either pleased with Him or were angry about His ways. We decided to go hear for ourselves. What he said made sense to us. We embraced Him.
After that, whenever Jesus came through our town, we opened our home to Him. He became like one of the family. We had him stay in our home.
We permitted Him to use our home as a central base for His disciples whenever they returned to our town. I always prepared a meal and gave them a place to rest.

Q.S.: Was there a time that you learned something from Jesus that was especially for you?

Martha: Whenever He came to our home, I always served a big meal, almost a banquet, as a welcome. One time, my sister Mary just sat and listened to Jesus. She didn’t help me do anything. Her behavior got under my skin. I was frustrated! I spoke my mind. I asked Jesus to tell my sister to help me with the meal.
                He told me I was anxious and troubled about many things. He let me know, nicely, that Mary chose what He called the better way. I let up on Mary that day. I vowed to have simpler meals in the future. I realized no one would remember what I served them. However, those who listened to Jesus could repeatedly tell many others what He said.

Q.S.: Are you thankful for what He did for you? Please explain why.

Martha: Yes, I am very thankful for what Jesus did for me. Because I was able to relax more. I heard the stories Jesus shared with the people who flocked to our home and listened to Him. I will always be thankful for the miracle He performed when he raised my dear brother Lazarus from the dead, but I have taken too much of your time. Maybe, I can tell that story at another time. Maybe then, I can share some recipes with you.

               

Q.S.: Thank you. I just might do that. 

                We have heard stories of thankfulness from those who encountered Jesus and received health and life-giving counsel. They each expressed that they were thankful. It is one of the tenets of the Christian faith that God through Jesus Christ teaches us that we are precious in His sight, delivers His children from the bondage of sin, forgives our wrong attitudes, and heals us from hurts.
Who among us has felt unrecognized, underappreciated, or forgotten?
Who among us spent even a small part of our lives angry at Jesus, but, because of a miracle He performed, have allowed Him to guide our lives?
Who among us, faced losing a loved one, and Jesus took over and brought healing?
Who among us has let our passion for our work overshadow our time spent with Jesus?


My questions to you are this: 

Has Jesus performed a miracle in your life that you are thankful for? 
Has He done something today that makes you thankful? 
Have you taken the time to express your thanks to Him?

_______________
I am taking a break until November 28th. I have to get ready for Thanksgiving (clean my house) and try to decorate our house for Christmas. Enjoy your Thanksgiving.

10 comments:

  1. Thats really beautiful! I love your sharing your interview with Martha. So sweet she offered to share some recipes, and shared her thankful heart and even "let up" on her sister Mary that day and was able to relax more. Its also a perfect time to be thankful for our Salvation, and as we don"t really have the official "holiday" here of Thanksgiving, I will be inspired by your post and take some time to keep a meal simple and express thanks to Him!! Blessings to you and have a Happy THanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shayndel: Thank you for your lovely comment. Am trying to do some cleaning today. A lot of us choose to have our Thanksgiving celebration on Saturday due to family responsibilities and travel. We should learn to thank God for everything He gives us. Paul said to "Thank God in all circumstances." Peace and blessings to you.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much, Cecilia. I hope all is well with you and that you have had a Good Day. We haven't Thanksgiving but I pray for a thankful heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aritha: Our son is coming home today (Saturday) and we will have our Thanksgiving meal with him this afternoon. All God asks of us us to love Him and have that thankful heart. Peace and Blessings.

      Delete
  3. What inspired you to do these in interview style?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandi: This was originally a script for a drama I wrote for our now lapsed drama ministry. I enjoyed the research and the writing. I might be doing this again with another script.

      Delete
  4. Oh Cecelia, I must have missed this series. Such a great idea to present these Biblical figures in interview form. I love it, thank you! I am so thankful to the Lord for all He has done in my life and for who He is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marja: Thank you for your kind thought. Yes, as children of God, we are to be thankful to Him. Our local newspaper has had a front page story each day this week of someone who was very thankful for what he or she has. One on the newscasters who grew up here was featured because God allowed her to go through
      six months of treatment and recovery from a rare form of breast cancer. Peace and Blessings.

      Delete
  5. I love the story of Martha, and have often identified with her. I tend to be a Martha much more than a "Mary", and I have had to learn these lessons over and over again. Holidays are especially difficult for me because I want to make sure everything is right and that people are comfortable and happy and well-fed, but I often miss out on some of the special moments of just visiting with one another. Not sure how to fix this problem...maybe hire a cook and housekeeper? Anyway, I love this story and appreciate you sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. We all want everything to be 'perfect' for our special meals and those times together. We have to figure out ways to make things simpler to prepare so we can find time to enjoy our company and our selves. Peace and blessings to you.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

February Reflections

  Getting Some Repair Work Done We had to have some work done to our bathroom. Our shower and bathtub had been out of commission f...