Friday, February 22, 2019

His Mercies Never End

Compassion, God’s Love
 
quiet spirit.

The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases;
his mercies never come to an end;
they are new every morning;
Great is your faithfulness.
‘The Lord is my portion,’ says my soul,
‘therefore I will hope in him.’
Lamentations 3:22-24

            Jeremiah witnessed the fall of Jerusalem. In the book of Lamentations, he reflects on the event. In our focus passage, He gives hope to those who are exiled.

The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; Jeremiah reminds those in exile that God still loves them and will always do so.

his mercies never come to an end; God will always look down on His people with love we don’t deserve.

they are new every morning; Each day, He gives new mercies to those He loves.

Great is your faithfulness. Here Jeremiah gives witness to God for His faithfulness. God is always faithful, even when we are not.

’The Lord is my portion,’ says my soul, ‘therefore I will hope in him.’  Jeremiah gives testimony that he will share the privilege of worshiping God forever. He is present in his soul and he will trust in Him.



I need to be reminded of this passage and this hymn. I chose this verse and this hymn when I worked on this month's blog posts in January. This past Sunday, our pastor announced that he was retiring from the United Methodist Church. This Saturday and next week our General Conference meets to make a crucial decision about the doctrine of the church. Please pray for our local church and the church-at-large.

4 comments:

  1. You know I am praying already, as you and I are both in the middle of this same issue, even though we live many miles apart. It is interesting how the Lord brought us together in more ways than one. Praying for you and your church...and praying that we will have the strength to stand strong in the upcoming days and months. We don't know yet what the future will hold for us, but God knows, and He's already working on it on our behalf. We are blessed to be His children. Have a wonderful weekend. We'll be talking again soon I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam: Thank you for your prayers. I am praying for you and John and your church as well. I have been reading all the sites I can about this issue and the conference. I can't believe it, but there are some congregations that have no idea this is issue exists. We had a Sunday school class party late this afternoon and into the evening. Our pastor talked with me at length about some of the facts I have discovered. Prayers for your John as he preaches tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. A good reminder Cecelia, every day is a new day with Him and whatever happens here, it is no surprise to Him. May His will be DONE,.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marja: Yes, every day is a new day with Jesus. We have to give thanks to Him for each day He gives us. Peace and blessings to you and yours.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

February Reflections

  Getting Some Repair Work Done We had to have some work done to our bathroom. Our shower and bathtub had been out of commission f...