Tuesday, March 5, 2019

An Interview with Pontius Pilate, part 1

Pinterest


Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent. This year, we will be receiving visits from Biblical people who were involved in the story of Christ's last days on our earth. A few of these will be shared with you in two parts. 


Quiet Spirit: Hello! We have with us today Pontius Pilate. governor of Judea from 26 to 36 A. D. One year during the Jewish Passover, he had the task of presiding over the decision-making process dealing with Jesus Christ. Welcome, Pontius Pilate to Following My King.
Pontius Pilate: Thank you for inviting me to share my story.
Q.S.: This must have been a stressful time for you. What was the first thing you saw that told you this would be a difficult time?
Pontius Pilate: I looked out onto the street, I saw a mob of people heading to my palace. I thought, “Oh, no. Here comes a crowd of soldiers with that man Jesus. A lot of the Jews follow Him.” They could not enter my palace; if they did the Jewish Law would say they were unclean. Then they would not be able to partake of their Passover Feast. I had to go out to them. If I didn’t take care of this properly, my superiors in Rome would send someone to replace me and I would have to go back to Rome or worse.
Q.S.: How did the people of Jerusalem respond to you?
Pilate: Now keep in mind, the Jewish people did not like me. The city of Jerusalem needed a way to transport water from its source into their city. Their funds were low. I made what you would call an executive decision and ordered the priest to give me the funds in their treasury to cover the cost of this project. The people had the notion that I stole that money from them. I lived with the possibility that these Jews could go to Rome with their story and cause me to be recalled to Rome and placed in a lesser post or worse.
Q.S.: What was the reaction of the people to Jesus? How did you find Jesus? Did anything about what He said puzzle you?
Pilate: These people did not care about this man Jesus. In my conversation with him, he said this was the reason he was born. He said he was a king and he was here to testify to the truth. This stunned me, I found myself asking, “WHAT IS TRUTH?” I found no reason to charge him. I did not find him guilty of anything of which the crowds accused him.
Q. S.: Why did they have to consult you about Jesus and the charges they brought?

When the Roman government overcame the people of Judea and took over their land, Rome relieved them of their power to inflict capital punishment on those they took to trial.  I tried three times to turn this Jesus over to them so they could do what they wanted with him. 

2 comments:

  1. wow, interesting "conversation" with Pilate! I think we will be surprised one day to learn about his final destination...just a hunch I have that he truly wanted to believe in Jesus...and maybe he did at some point...I guess we won't know until we get to heaven...but I have more sympathy for him than anger. However, he had to do what he did, or we would not have redemption through Christ...so it was all a part of God's plan for our salvation...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam: I agree with you Pontius Pilate is one that evokes sympathy and, yet, was a part of God's plan for our salvation. Peace and blessings.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

The Lord

  You Tube We sang this last Sunday at church last Sunday. The congregation liked it so well that the praise band director chose to include ...