Friday, March 8, 2019

An Interview with Pontius Pilate, part 2

Pinterest

Today, we continue with our visit with Pontius Pilate. Let's begin.


Q.S.: What were your thoughts about Him? Did anyone in your palace offer any advice as to what to do?

Pilate: When this Jesus stood before me and didn’t respond to my questions, I was amazed. I was torn between what the Jews wanted and the fact that I saw nothing that told me He was guilty of those charges. Then my wife sent me a message. She had experienced a sleepless night She told me not to condemn this man, Jesus. I found it strange. I wasn’t aware she even knew Him.

Q.S.: What was your alternative plan?

Pilate: I offered to let him go in exchange for another criminal. It was the custom for the governing authorities to release one being held in custody during Passover. The crowd said no, (shakes head) they wanted Barabbas, a rebellious thug, A REBELLIOUS THUG, freed...I was desperate, I HAD TO DO AS THE CROWD WANTED.

Q.S: Did you have any options?

Pilate: I had a job to do. If I let Jesus go, it would mean my post. I’d get called back to Rome and would be at my superior’s mercy. I HAD NO CHOICE. I ordered this Jesus scourged. The soldiers mocked him and his claim. After they were through with him. I brought him out before the crowd again. I felt sorry for this Jesus.

Q.S. How did the crowd react to seeing Jesus?

Pilate: The moment the chief priests and the scribes saw him, they shouted, “Crucify him! Crucify him!” The rest of the crowd joined in. I declared I found no charge against him—in my sight, he was innocent. I told them they could take him and crucify him themselves. I wanted no part in this.

Q.S.: On what did they base their desire?

Pilate: Those Jews were hard to deal with; they wanted this Jesus dead. They claimed they have a law saying he must die because he has claimed to be the Son of God. I went inside again and questioned this Jesus. He chose not to answer. His not speaking frustrated me. He seemed unconcerned even though I had the power to either let him go free or crucify him.
Q. S.: How did He respond to your questions?

 Pilate: He had told me any power I had, came from above. And those who had handed him over were guilty of a greater sin. I tried very hard to give him back to the Jews, but they didn’t want him. They wanted him crucified. I had no recourse. I had to do as they insisted. I believed he was speaking the truth- he was the Son of God.

Q. S.: Looking back, what was your reason for turning Jesus over to the crowd?

Pilate: Three times I told the Jews of Jesus’ innocence. I couldn’t understand why these people wanted to kill him. But they could make trouble for me with my superiors in Rome. I had to do as the people wanted.


Q.S.: Thank you for stopping by, Pontius Pilate, and for giving us this insight.

8 comments:

  1. Yes, I appreciate your sharing this "conversation and interview" with Pilate here. I feel like he had no other choice, and I also believe that God will be merciful to him. But, then again, I am not God, and don't know what God chose to do with Pilate...so I guess we will wait and see in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam: When I first did research on Pilate, I came away feeling sorry for the position he was in. I found I had a different outlook the role he found himself in. Peace and blessings.

      Delete
  2. How interesting to have an interview with Pilate. I remember I tried to envision the scene with Jesus and Pilate before writing my book 'Spirit of truth'. Your interview would have helped me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marja: Thank you for your beautiful comment. I am touched by it.

      Delete
  3. Hi Quiet Spirit - I can see your background in drama coming out here. :) The interview drew me in and never let go. Thanks for a thought-provoking lead in to Resurrection Sunday. Are you planning more interviews?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan: Thank you for the warm, kind thoughts. Yes, I have a few more planned for this Lenten series.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

The Lord

  You Tube We sang this last Sunday at church last Sunday. The congregation liked it so well that the praise band director chose to include ...