Friday, October 4, 2019

Faith is The Foundation

See the source image
netny.tv



Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds. For you know the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. James 1:2-3 (ESV)

I must admit; I have misread this verse for a long time. In planning my posts for this month, I chose this one because it speaks of faith. I read it and reread it and couldn’t figure out why it read differently until I realized what it said, ‘meet trials.’ It doesn’t say ‘have trials’ Another translation says, “Face trials’ (1)

Jesus tells us “In the world, you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33) Many times, I have found comfort in these words. We can follow James’ prescription for facing the vexing events of life when we remember Christ’s words.

James speaks of faith leading to steadfastness which leads to perfection and completeness in which we will lack nothing. This tells me that our faith is a foundation on which God builds as He makes us into the person, He desires us to be.

An evangelist we all used to enjoy hearing once gave a formula for getting through the trials of life. He told us to face those trials, then place those trials (at Jesus’ feet), then let Him erase those trials.

(1)   Life Application Bible (NIV), Tyndale House Inc., Zondervan Publishing House, ©1991 Page 2244.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, we will all "meet trials", "face trials", and literally "have trials" in this life...but thanks be to God, through Christ, we are overcomers! He will give us everything we need to get through each situation when we walk with Him in faith. He never said we wouldn't have trials, but He did promise to be with us through them...and we can depend on Him to do exactly that!! So thankful for our loving Savior, who never leaves us nor forsakes us!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam: I am thankful that He never leaves us or forsakes us. I heard of a sign on a church's sign board that went like this: "Do you feel further away from God than you once were? Guess who moved." This message makes more sense than it used to as I see people 'going through the motions' of worshiping God. Peace and blessings to you and yours.

      Delete

I would be honored to hear what you think about this.

The Lord

  You Tube We sang this last Sunday at church last Sunday. The congregation liked it so well that the praise band director chose to include ...